CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

My cat is coughing and sounds congested when she breathes but

My cat is coughing and sounds congested when she breathes but has no drainage from her eye ducts or nasal drip. It almost sounds as if there is a blockage in her throat. She tries to eat and is hungry but vomits it up whole immediately afterwords. This just started late last night. Her purring also sounds somewhat blocked.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

Is she an indoor only cat?

-
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No she is both indoor and outdoor. I have kept updated vaccinations on her though she is due later this year for vaccinations. Also the thing that has me worried is nothing stops her from eating, she eats with a lot of gusto always when food is present, but this morning she just looks at it tries to eat a little but then vomits, then tries again. She looks at me as if she is miserable. She is a medium hair cat, but I do keep her fur groomed because her hair can mat.
2 possible causes for your description seem most likely.

1) Upper Respiratory Viral Infection (the most likely).

Cats commonly get viruses - we tend to group this into the category of feline (cat) upper respiratory infections. These are usually self-limiting, viral infections.

Common signs of a cat upper respiratory infection include:
- Sneezing
- Nasal Discharge
- Red eyes
- Ocular discharge (one or both)
- Even decreased appetite, lethargy and vomiting.

2) An allergy or sensitivity.

I do there there is little risk in trying a course of an antihistamine (Benadryl) in case this is an allergy. If you would like to do that...The dose will be 1mg for every 1 pound of body weight. For example, a 10 pound cat should receive 10mg of benadryl. You can start and then give a dose every 12 hours thereafter. Please be certain it is the product consisting of only Diphenhydramine and DOES NOT CONTAIN ANY OTHER INGREDIENTS SUCH AS A DECONGESTANT.

Other options for at home care include:

One recommendation is saline drops to use to moisten and flush the nose. Although I am not promoting this company or brand, this is one that I have used in the past:
http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/catalog/shop_product_detail.jsp?filterBy=&skuId=107863&productId=107863&navAction=jump&navCount=3

The other recommendation would be humidification. You can either use a children's / baby's humidifier for 10-15 minutes twice daily, or using the steam from a hot shower you can attempt to humidify the air that your cat breathes.

Finally -a lysine supplement to help fight the virus (HERE) can be used as well.

I hope this information is helpful.
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Could allergies just start up and pass from one cat to the other?
I don't know if it's an upper respitory infection because there is no syptoms of eye drainage or inflamation. The white of her eyes are normal size.
As listed above, a URI does not need to have all the signs of everything to be a URI.

An allergy would not be contagious.