CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

my cat has a raspy breathing noise, as though the sinuses are

my cat has a raspy breathing noise, as though the sinuses are clogged. No discharge. Vet appointment on 8/23 (2 weeks ago). Diagnosis was bacterial, but prescribed an antibiotic as well (Orbax) which she just finished today. I am concerned that she is having trouble breathing through her nose.
1) will cats breathe through their mouth as needed?
2) is there anything I can do to help clear her sinuses?

I am going to take her back in for re-examination, but the wheezy nose breathing is of concern to me.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

With your history I do there there is little risk in trying a course of an antihistamine (Benadryl) in case this is an allergy. If you would like to do that...The dose will be 1mg for every 1 pound of body weight. For example, a 10 pound cat should receive 10mg of benadryl. You can start and then give a dose every 12 hours thereafter. Please be certain it is the product consisting of only Diphenhydramine and DOES NOT CONTAIN ANY OTHER INGREDIENTS SUCH AS A DECONGESTANT.

Other options for at home care include:

One recommendation is saline drops to use to moisten and flush the nose. Although I am not promoting this company or brand, this is one that I have used in the past:
http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/catalog/shop_product_detail.jsp?filterBy=&skuId=107863&productId=107863&navAction=jump&navCount=3

The other recommendation would be humidification. You can either use a children's / baby's humidifier for 10-15 minutes twice daily, or using the steam from a hot shower you can attempt to humidify the air that your cat breathes.

I hope this information is helpful.
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So, you feel that it is some mild irritant, and I shouldn't be overly concerned? If her sinuses were to get totally blocked, would she breathe through her mouth?
A cat can breathe through the mouth if needed - but if it gets to that point - where no airflow can go through the mouth - that would be a concern.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK, thanks for your time