Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.
16881297

What dose of zantac can I give my cat as he was on medication

What dose of zantac can I give my cat as he was on medication and now he is throwing up because of it. My vet says gravol but I would like to give him zantac to help heal his stomach not just stop him from throwing up. The vet has never heard of zantac which I find really strange.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 5 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome to Just answer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Zantac or ranitidine is given at 1 mg per pound every 8 hrs to cats for certain GI symptoms. It is best to consult your veterinarian before using this product.

Here is the site that explains this:

Petplace.com

Good Luck!

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I just stated in my eamil that my vet has never heard of zantac......... is this product okay to use or not ...... or is there another product that i can give him besides baby gravol that will help heal his stomach as gravol only stops him from throwing up and does not heal?????

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I am very dissappointed in your answer I could have googled that myselt..... I am looking for alternatives as well as zantac........ I told you that my vet did not hear of zantac so I am looking for dosage and alternatives to heal the problem.

Zantac is safe to give to cats and will help if this vomiting is caused by increased stomach acid. I have also used Pepcid AC at 1/4 tablet every 8 hrs. It depends on the cause for this vomiting....

I would certainly try one of these to give Murphy some relief.