CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

My cat is no longer able to meow. He opens his mouth and nothing

My cat is no longer able to meow. He opens his mouth and nothing comes out. His abdominal muscles contract like something should come out, but nothing does except a gasp sort of. What is wrong with my cat? He also has scabs on his skin and is pulling his hair out. Very sensitive to touch and will wince if you just lightly pet him along his backside and hip joints. Can this have something to do with it. I just thought he was lazy with the meowing, because for years this would occasionally happen but when he wanted our attention he would meow lots but no more meowing. HELP PLEASE!!!
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

Is he eating?

Drinking?

Vomiting?

Discharge from the eyes or nose?

Coughing or sneezing?

-
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He is eating well, drinking well, but no unusual symptoms like N+V or coughing or sneezing. No discharge from eyes either. We have reduced his amount of food to 5/8 of a cup according to the Hill's science diet and with our vet's instructions. He weighs 16.5 lbs.
The "silent" meow is not an uncommon question for cat owners.

It is possible that there is no underlying cause for this as some believe that this is a bevioral technique to get attention.

With other signs (such as sneezing, runny nose, etc) it can be associated with a Feline Upper Respiratory Viral Infection.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=613

You may want to have your veterinarian perform an examination of the mouth, larynx, and pharynx.

Although rare, problems with the tonsils and aryetnoids (inflammation, infection, etc.) can also cause this.

I hope this information helps - please let me know if you have other questions!
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I should have mentioned that he can purr as usual. Does this change anything?

Hi there,

No - that does not change the information above.