Dr. BJ Hughes
Dr. BJ Hughes, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  20+ years in feline medicine,surgery, and teaching. Special emphasis on educating owners.

Can I use a normal thermometer to get my cats temperature

Can I use a normal thermometer to get my cat's temperature? How would I do that? Does it go in the anus? My kitten feels very warm. He has been sick with kitty pink eye and an upper respiratory infection. He is on antibiotics, eye drops and lysine and has been for days but he still feels very warm.

Note he is eating just fine and active.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. BJ Hughes replied 2 years ago.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Hi there --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Yes -- you can use a common human thermometer --- either a glass one -- or even better a digital one.

Customer:

So I put the thermometer in his anus and just wait for it to beep?

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Simply put a small amount of oil or vaseline or KY jelly on the tip -- and insert about 1/2 inch in to the anus.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

And wait for the beep --

Customer:

Can I use cooking oil? It's all I have.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Often supporting the rear end of the kitten off the ground makes this a little easier --

Customer:

What is a normal temperature for a 4.5 month old kitten?

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Yes -- a cooking oil is ok -- it is a small amount.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

And normal temperature is 99- 103

Dr. BJ Hughes :

above that is considered a fever -- unless there is great stress or exercise

Customer:

He feels much warmer than my other cat's but they are adults. I was not sure if that is normal for a kitten or if he has a fever....

Dr. BJ Hughes :

if there is a fever -- then a vet visit is advised --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

None of the human fever reducers are safe for use in felines -- and the most common reason for a fever is infection --

Customer:

I will for sure. Bummer cuz he was just in and got antibiotics, lisene and eye drops.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Sometimes a kitten can feel a little warmer.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Ok -- is he eating and drinking ok --

Customer:

Yes he is and very playful.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

It sounds like he may be being treated for a common viral respiratory infection .

Customer:

Yes that is it but it has been days on the meds and he is so warm.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

This is good -- as the best thing in this situation is too keep him eating and drinking and using the litter box -- basically supportive care to allow his system to get through the infection

Customer:

Would it be normal to get a fever even if on the meds?

Customer:

Okay....

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Yes -- this could happen as this is commonly a viral infection -- and antibitoics are for bacteria (which are secondary ) --

Customer:

Okay....well thank you for your help. I will check the temp and call the vet if he has a fever.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

It is good that he is active -- as lethargy and reduced activity occur with a fever commonly.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

You are welcome --

Customer:

He is running around now playing with his mouse.

Customer:

Thanks bye

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Great news --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

I hope this information helps!
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.
The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian

Dr. BJ Hughes, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: 20+ years in feline medicine,surgery, and teaching. Special emphasis on educating owners.