Dr. BJ Hughes
Dr. BJ Hughes, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  20+ years in feline medicine,surgery, and teaching. Special emphasis on educating owners.
31668627

How can I check my cat's temperature?

Can I use a normal thermometer to check my cat's temperature? How can I do that? Does it go in the anus? My kitten feels very warm. He has been sick with kitty  pink  eye and an  upper  respiratory infection. He is on antibiotics, eye drops and Lysine. It has been for days but he still feels very warm. He is eating. But he is just fine otherwise and active.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Hi there..Welcome to Just Answer..

You can use a common human thermometer, either a glass one or even better a digital one.

Customer :

So, I put the thermometer in his anus and just wait for it to beep?

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Simply put a small amount of oil or Vaseline or KY jelly on the tip, and insert about 1/2 inch in to the anus. And wait for the beep.

Customer :

Can I use cooking oil? It's all I have.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Often supporting the rear end of the kitten off the ground makes this a little easier. Yes, cooking oil is ok. A small amount.

Customer :

What is a normal temperature for a 4.5 month old kitten?

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Normal temperature is 99- 103. Above that is considered a fever, unless there is great stress or exercise.

Customer :

He feels much warmer than my other cat's but they are adults. I was not sure if that is normal for a kitten or if he has a fever....

Dr. BJ Hughes :

If there is a fever, then a visit to the vet is advised.

None of the human fever reducers are safe for use in felines and the most common reason for a fever is infection.

Customer :

I will for sure. Bummer cuz he was just in and got antibiotics, lysine and eye drops.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Sometimes a kitten can feel a little warmer. Ok, is he eating and drinking ok?

Customer :

Yes, he is and very playful.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

It sounds like he may be being treated for a common viral respiratory infection .

Customer :

Yes, that is it, but it has been days on the medicines and he is so warm.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

The best thing in this situation, is too keep him eating and drinking and using the litter box. Basically, supportive care to allow his system to get through the infection

Customer :

Ok. Would it be normal to get a fever even if on the meds?

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Yes, this could happen as this is commonly a viral infection and antibiotics are for bacteria (which are secondary )

Customer :

Okay.... I will check the temp and call the vet if he has a fever.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

It is good that he is active. As lethargy and reduced activity occur with a fever commonly.

Customer :

He is running around now and playing with his mouse.

Thanks bye

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Great news. You are welcome!