Dr Pete
Dr Pete, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Bachelor of Veterinary Science University of Melbourne

My cats eye lids are red and swollen and she has discharge

My cat's eye lids are red and swollen and she has discharge tearing from them as well. Its midnight, are there any immediate things I can do while I wait for the vet to open up?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Pete replied 5 years ago.
Can you tell me
1.How long has the eyes been like this?
2. Is she also unwell...lethargic, not eating, etc?
3. Is she drinking normally?
4. is the discharge clear and watery or thick?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
1. Since today
2. She just ate
3. and drank some water
4. clear and watery with a little bit of goo
Expert:  Dr Pete replied 5 years ago.

Hi again

Thanks for that information.

There are two possibilities for what is happening:

1. Allergy

2. Upper respiratory tract infection (URTI or cat flu)

Because Corazon is reasonably well otherwise and this is confined to her eyes I suspect it may be allergic. Perhaps contact with a plant pollen or similar or maybe an insect/spider bite. Cats will investigate all sorts of nooks and crannies and can contact a wide variety of allergens. But of course this could just be the early signs of URTI and that may require some more general medications and/or specific eye medication. Your vet will of course look after that side of things when he/she sees her.

In the meantime we can provide relief for her in two ways. First you can bathe her eyes with any human (non-medicated) eye bathing solution if you have any on hand. But a good alternative is a saline solution. You can make up your own by dissolving a teaspoon of salt in a pint (600 ml) of water. It’s best to have boiled the water first and allowing it to cool. Wash the eyes liberally. It’s quite soothing.

If you have any Benadryl Allergy (diphenhydramine) available that is quite safe and will relieve the discomfort as well as reduce the swelling. Ensure it is not the combination product (Benadryl Allergy and Sinus). The dose for cats is 1-2 mg/lb. Benadryl comes in a variety of formulations and strengths. If you are unsure please tell me the strength of what you have and Corazon’s weight and I’ll advise you.

Regards, Peter