petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.

my cat has a bump on his lip that is quite swollen...wasnt

Customer Question

my cat has a bump on his lip that is quite swollen...wasn't there this morning. He has had bumps on his chin before, but i assumed they were battle scars from his sister. What should I do?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. I am a licensed veterinarian and would be happy to answer your questions.

Is it an upper lip or a lower lip? If lower, is it on the lip itself, or more on the chin?

Is there any drainage coming from it?

Does it seem painful?

Is Buster an indoor only cat or is he allowed outdoors?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It's on his lower lip (more on the lip than off) I can't see drainage, but he does keep licking it and is hesitant to let me touch it. He is an indoor cat...although he does enjoy the occasional 10 minute bird watching session on the balcony.
Expert:  petdrz replied 5 years ago.

Does it resemble either of these pictures?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The top image looks almost identical. I should also mention that he is extremely interested in insects, spiders, and any other creepy crawly that makes its way into the apartment.
Expert:  petdrz replied 5 years ago.

What Buster is likely experiencing is a condition known as an eosinophilic granuloma. They are an inflammatory reaction thought to have an allergic cause but often the cause of the allergy is not identified. In most cases, they need a treatment (or two) of steroids to resolve it and if it becomes a recurrent problem, further testing may be needed to better identify the allergen.

If that is what it is, it is relatively non-painful, but can be irritating enough to cause him to rub it. You should have him evaluated by your veterinarian. In the meantime, it would not be harmful to give him a dose of benedryl, but in most cases, steroids are need to reduce the swelling. The dose is 1 mg per pound so a 10 lb cat would get 10 mg. This can be repeated two to three times per day. The pill that is available over the counter is typically 25 mg. so you would probably need to go with the children's liquid form which is typically 12.5 mg/teaspoon (or 2.5 mg/cc). Make sure that there are no other "cold-type" medications in it like decongestants.

I hope that helps. Here is a link with more information: eosinophilic granuloma

Please let me know if you have any further questions.