Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

Prednisolone 5 mg/ml suspension dosage for a 10 lb cat

What is the dosage for a 10 lb cat for prednisolone 5 mg/ml suspension?

Type of Animal: Cat DSH
Gender: Spayed female
Age: 14 yrs
Name of Cat: auoroa

Already Tried:
Cat had all teeth removed due to stomatitis years ago. Common infections. This time, likely absess wound. Am going to start amoxicillin with prednisone. I am a cat rescuer with limited funds.

Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for the question.

While I cannot be seen to induce you to self treat your cat I can tell you the following :

Doses of prednisone vary widely depending on the reason for prescribing and the severity of the condition. Anti-inflammatory doses say for skin conditions range from 0.1 to 0.3 mg per pound of your cat's body weight twice a day.

However the much higher immunosupressive doses can range as high as 1 to 3 mg per pound twice a day for the treatment of cancers for example.

Be aware of the following :

1. Prednisone may well interact adversely with other medications your cat may be on.

2. If you are treating an abscess in the soft tissues such as could follow a cat bite the prednisone should not be used and would in fact be contraindicated. In these circumstances you would normally use antibiotics such as amoxycillin on their own for a weeks course.

If you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so.