Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

my cat just ate 1/2 of a .25 mg xanax

Customer Question

my cat just ate 1/2 of a .25 mg xanax
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the question.

While I cannot diagnose this via the internet I can tell you the following :

Xanax { Alprazolam } is a human drug sometimes prescribed on an extra label basis by some vets and is used as a sedative or for anxiety in cats at a maximum dose rate of around 0.25 mg per cat { not on a weight basis } given orally. It is generally thought to be a safe drug in the cat.

On the above basis the top dose for a cat would actually be 0.25 mg so as the amount your cat swallowed { 0.125 mg } is within a published dose rate it is unlikely that this will cause the cat any long term side effects, what is likely to happen is that your cat will be sedated for a few hours and then recover.

But this is not a drug licensed for cats so there can be no absolute guarantees, if your cat deteriorates or you become further concerned you should see an ER vet without delay. Best not take chances ...

You can check the accuracy of what I have told you and read the contraindications etc. here : LINK

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS