CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

cat: it and is it contagious?

I may have a year old cat with fit disease. What is it and is it contagious? I have several other cats and am concerned if this cat proves positive.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

Can you be more specific - "FIT" disease?

Did you mean to write FIP?

-
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
perhaps it is fip
FIP is a coronavirus.

It is an unpredictable mutant of the FECV (Feline Enteric Coronavirus)

Feline enteric coronavirus can be spread, but once it mutates to the FIP virus (WHICH CAN NOT BE PREDICTED), it is not shed, so will not contaminate the environment.

I hope this information helps!
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is it contagious to my other cats and what are the symptoms? Is it a rare disease?
Is it contagious to my other cats

As listed above - no

Is it a rare disease?

Yes

This link (HERE) should also help!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

So your answer is that if my cat has fip and I keep him there is no danger to my other cats? The Vet who is treating him implied it was contagious.

DIRECTLY FROM THE LINK I GAVE YOU:

FIP is not a highly contagious disease, since by the time the cat develops clinical disease only a small amount of virus is being shed.

Feline coronavirus can be found in large quantities in the saliva and feces of cats during the acute infection, and to a lesser extent in recovered or carrier cats, so it can be transmitted through cat-to-cat contact and exposure to feces. The virus can also live in the environment for several weeks. The most common transmission of feline coronavirus occurs when infected female cats pass along the virus to their kittens, usually when the kittens are between five and eight weeks of age.

FIP is relatively uncommon in the general cat population. However, the disease rate is much higher in multiple-cat populations, such as some shelters and catteries. FIP has also been shown to be more common in certain breeds, but the research is still unclear as to whether these breeds are more susceptible because of their genetics or whether they are exposed to feline coronavirus more often because many of them come