Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM degree from Ontario Veterinary College

My cats eye has been weeping a thick snot like mucus for

My cats eye has been weeping a thick 'snot like' mucus for the past day. Both are weeping, but mostly his left eye. He does not seem to be in any pain, neither eye is cloudy, red or swollen. He does however blink more and squints if I don't take a damp cloth and wipe the mucus away.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 5 years ago.
Hi there.

Few questions for you:

1. Does Toby go outside at all?
2. Do you have another cat?
3. Does he do any sneezing or coughing?
4. Is he eating ok?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

1. He does not go outside

2. No other cats in the house

3. No sneezing or cough

4. He is eatting fine

Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 5 years ago.
Got it, thanks.

The most likely reason for the discharge is a reactivated herpes virus infection. Herpes virus infections are common in cats and tend to hide in their system until some stressful event occurs (which we people may not necessarily think of as stressful), at which time the infection becomes activated and the kitty begins to have symptoms. These symptoms may vary from little sneezing, to nasal and eye discharge to full blow corneal ulcerations.

In this case, it seems that your kitty is fine in every other way, so I would just monitor and gently blot/wipe the discharges from her eyes. If you notice any swelling, squinting or redness, please take him to your vet to ensure that he is not developing an ulcer. Same applies if he starts being lethargic or stops eating...

In most cases, symptoms go away on their own within 1-2 weeks, so if everything else is normal, give it a bit of time and he should be back to himself soon.

Hope this helps; please let me know if you have any other questions!