Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My cats eye is watering, a little red and hes squinting that

Customer Question

My cat's eye is watering, a little red and he's squinting that eye. This morning we noticed a yellowish discharge from it like I had when I had pink eye. Could this be it? If so, is Neomycin drops the medicine we should be giving him?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 years ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. Usually, eye problems in cats tend to be viral related (herpes), but bacterial infections are possible. Neomycin eye drops may help. I would be more concerned about a corneal ulcer if he is squinting his eye often. This is usually a sign of pain, which is often related to an ulcer. If it is an ulcer, most superficial ulcers will heal well, but deep ulcers can permanently affect vision. For that reason, it would be a good idea to have your vet check him out tomorrow to see exactly what is going on. Even superficial ulcers may need eye medications applied every 2-3 hours. Any medication with a steroid in it can make the ulcer worse. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We have a brand new bottle of Neomycin. Could we use it on him? I just hate to see him so uncomfortable with the squinting and so much watering. He only pawed at it once, maybe to wipe the tearing. What else could we do until we can get him to the vet tomorrow?
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 years ago.
You can try the Neomycin, as long as it is a sterile eye drop and doesn't have anything else added to it (especially steroids). It most likely wouldn't hurt anything to try that to see if it will give him comfort until tomorrow. Hope this helps.