DrJessicaO
DrJessicaO, Veterinarian
Experience:  7 years of private practice & oncology experience with dogs, cats, exotics, pocket pets, etc
41353408

My cats love to eat bonito flakes as a treat, and I love to

My cats love to eat bonito flakes as a treat, and I love to give them the flakes. Is there a limit as to how much I should give them? I don't want to overdo it. The package doesn't say anything about serving size.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  DrJessicaO replied 3 years ago.
Hi there,
I will try to help answer your question. Bonito flakes are healthy and cats absolutely love these! Although there is no precise limit to how many you can give, the concern with giving a cat too much of anything is that it can potentially cause inflammation of the bowels leading to GI signs such as nausea or diarrhea. Although this "maximum amount" is quite subjective, I would not recommend exceeding 3-4 treats per cat in a day to help avoid GI distress. These can always be broken into smaller pieces so you can give more bits throughout the day.
I hope this information helps and please let me know if you need anything else,
-Dr. Jessica
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks! What about Greenies, are they okay to give? I have heard conflicting stories about that. I heard that they are safe to give according to the package and I also heard that you should not give too many because they can expand in your cat's stomach. My cats love the greenies too. Are they safe? How many?
I absolutely dislike greenies in cats or dogs. You are correct- they have the potential of expanding in the stomach and potentially causing blockages (especially in the small cat pylorus, the opening between the stomach and small intestine). I am sorry to say that I do not recommend greenies under any circumstance, as I have had too many patients with GI distress and obstructions secondary to them.
DrJessicaO, Veterinarian
Experience: 7 years of private practice & oncology experience with dogs, cats, exotics, pocket pets, etc
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm really glad I asked! Do the Temptations dentabites have the same problem as the greenies? Just looking for an alternative. I have also heard that Hill's oral health kibble is good for a dental treat.
I love Hills T/D (the dental diet) for treats and oral health. I have not found the same problem with Temptations as I do Greenies, and I actually use these in my own cats.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
is hill's t/d the same as the hill's science diet oral care kibble I can buy at Petco? or is the t/d something I need to get from my vet? sorry to keep coming back with so many questions.
No problem at all. :) T/D is Hill's which is a prescription line of food that can only be obtained by a veterinarian. Science diet (same company but over the counter diet) has an equivalent- Oral Care Adult. T/D is a bit superior in that it enzymatically breaks down tarter on the teeth better than the over the counter brand but if you are just looking for a tasty treat with some added benefit, Science Diet Oral Care Adult would probably be just fine and tends to be less costly than the T/D.
DrJessicaO, Veterinarian