Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.

My indoor cat has suddenly become unstable when walking, jumping,

My indoor cat has suddenly become unstable when walking, jumping, etc. He constantly loses his balance, mis-judges when he jumps, falls off the couch and has kind of a "distant" look in his eyes. Granted, he is 14 years old but has been very healthy up until the last few weeks. His personality also changed. He was very aloof and now he wants to be held and petted constantly.

His fur looks good and he has an appetite still. He doesn't appear to be in any pain. Is it just old age?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 5 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome to Just answer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

There is a good chance that Milo is suffering from Vestibular Syndrome. This is a condition that affects the vestibular system so that he will become unstable on his feet. There often is no reason for this and it will resolve within 2 weeks. These are also signs of a stroke so it is good to have your vet examine Milo to be sure since a stroke would require treatment. If he is still eating well, this may be Vestibular Syndrome.

Here is a site that explains further....

Good Luck!

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX