Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

How long can a cat live without food assuming he gets water?

How long can a cat live without food assuming he gets water? Will a feral cat which has been fed cat food by a human for about two years be able to forage if the food is cut off. My wife recentlly died of cancer and fed a neighborhood feral cat. I am going on vacation for a week to ten days. The cat has always been able to obtain his own water. I don't want to come back and find a dead animal. There are numerous small children on our block.

Are you currently feeding the cat in a specific place and time?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes. My late wife fed the cat on our back deck at about 7 am.

In response to your question, a cat without any food can go for weeks without dying. Certainly, that will depend on the health status and fat. But, overall they can go for at least 2-3 weeks without any food. Outdoor cats (strays) usually are very good hunters and tend to eat mice, rats, birds, squirrels, etc. I think she will be fine during your week of vacation. But, what you can do is buy an automatic feeder and she will have her daily food as you have been feeding her. You can find automatic feeders in any pet store. If you follow the link below it will direct you to a site where you see automatic feeders.

Hope the above helps, if you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.