Dr. Berry
Dr. Berry, Veterinarian
Experience:  26 years experience in small and large animal medicine and surgery.
50943215

My cat is meowing funny and not eating. She was fine when

My cat is meowing funny and not eating. She was fine when I came home from work and now she looks like she wants to get sick but can't and meows like she has a frog in her throat. She appears to be walking around okay and is purring. It does sound like she's having a harder time than normal breathing, but is not having convulsions or anything. I don't know how to get her mouth open enough to see in her throat without getting bitten. Is there a way to do a "kitty Heimlich" or something for her?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Berry replied 3 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Berry. Thanks for your question.

Is she experiencing any open mouth breathing?

Is she coughing any?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
every once and a while she'll cough or move her head around like there is something stuck in her throat. She's trying to sleep now and I can really hear her breathing. No open mouth breathing. She's breathing through her nose.
Expert:  Dr. Berry replied 3 years ago.
Cats with an upper respiratory infection can experience "sore throat" like symptoms where their meow will be altered and they will act like their is something in their throat. If she is not open mouth breathing or struggling to move air as evidenced by her sleeping she is not in a respiratory crisis that would require something like the Heimlich maneuver. I would not recommend trying to look down her throat unless you know what you are doing.

If she continues to have problems after 24 hours she needs to be checked out by a veterinarian. If she experiences difficulty breathing have her checked out sooner.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
She was fine when I came home from work, she ate her dinner (1 oz. of tuna) and then I took the dog for a walk and when we came home an hour later, she couldn't meow. She sleeps for about 10 or 15 minutes, then gets up and stretches her neck and moves it funny like something is there. When we came home from the walk, she looked like she was getting ready to get sick, but never did. She did have a couple of heaves & I thought she had eaten some grass and was going to throw up like she often does. But she didn't and now she can't meow. Would a sore throat come on so quickly like that?
Expert:  Dr. Berry replied 3 years ago.
It could be a sore throat or throat irritation it is hard to distinguish between the two.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Okay. I know it's hard without looking at her, but you don't think there is something stuck in her throat? Even a hairball or something? My vet doesn't open until 8a and I have to be at work at 6a so it's going to be noonish before I could get home from work and then get her to the doc. She sleeps right next to me so I can keep a close eye on her tonight, but the emergency vet wants like $200 just to walk in the door. I can't really afford that but if she has an obstruction, I'll do whatever I need to. She's my best buddy & I'll find a way to pay for it.
Expert:  Dr. Berry replied 3 years ago.
Unless she is showing signs of struggling to breathe it is unlikely that she has something stuck in her throat. If it were a hair ball or other obstruction she would be continuing to try and throw up or cough. Animals with something stuck in their throat there is usually no doubt that there is a problem.
Dr. Berry, Veterinarian
Experience: 26 years experience in small and large animal medicine and surgery.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Okay. Thank you. She did have a respiratory infection once before, but I caught it because she was sneezing a lot. She didn't do that this time. Thank you for your time and help. I don't think either of us will get much sleep tonight, but at least I'm not so panicky now. I'll call her doc tomorrow and get her in as soon as he can see her. I am not sure how this works, so I'll send this reply and then accept the answer. I don't know if I hit accept if you still get my comments. Thanks again!