Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

My 1 year old cat ate a piece of nylon string about 5 inches

Customer Question

My 1 year old cat ate a piece of nylon string about 5 inches long. I'm worried about her. I took her to the emergency vet yesterday and they tried to induce vomiting, but she didn't vomit. They said that since she ate that morning, doing an endoscopy probably wouldn't work to ge the string out. They told me to watch her for any signs of discomfort. It's been about 30 hours now. She has a good appetite, drinks well, plays, and acts normal. She used the litter box yesterday but no string was in the feces. Do you think she will pass the string? I'm so worried about her. I never let her play with string toys, but i walked out of the room for about 15 minutes. I took her to the er vet (aboutXXXXX immediately. They said she was asymptomatic at that point. Please help

Candy
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 5 years ago.
Hello, welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian, and I'll be happy to help you in any way I can. At this point, I would not suggest doing anything to attempt to intervene with Baby's situation. All that I would be doing in this case, is feeding small amounts, more frequently than usual, in an effort to keep the digestive tract moving, in hopes that the string will pass.

Everything you describe is that of a normal cat - no vomiting, lethargy, appetite loss, etc and so I would not see any reason (or benefit) in panicking right now. You're just going to make yourself upset for what might be nothing at all. If there IS a problem, you're going to be acting on it as soon as it's noticed, and so the prognosis for successful treatment and recovery is quite high.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thank you so much. She's sleeping right now but I haven't let her out of my sight all day. What would be the first signs that she is in trouble with the string?
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 5 years ago.
Vomiting, refusal to eat, lethargy, and abdominal pain are all possible signs. if none of those are present, I would see no reason to worry.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How soon do you think the string would pass in her feces
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 5 years ago.
it can take many days to pass.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I just wanted to let you know Baby pooped out the string this morning. Thank you so much for your help
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 5 years ago.
Great!! I'm so glad to hear it :)