Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery

my cats urine was like jelly this morning hes 1yr 1mo unneutered

my cats urine was like jelly this morning he's 1yr 1mo unneutered male stressed right now because i'm not letting him out until he gets shots and is fixed. spends all night yowling and scratching at door uses litter box 4 large urine clumps in past 48 hrs. dashed out this morning when my husband scooped him up jelly urine came out
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 5 years ago.
Hi, thanks for your question about Jimmy. You are very wise to be keeping him indoors at this stage - many cat owners are unable to deal with an intact male cat indoors, but it's much safer for him!

Stress can lead to bladder inflammation in cats, and bladder inflammation can cause mucus and white blood cells to be present in the urine - if enough is present, there could be a mucoid or sludgy appearance to the urine, in theory. Of course, being an intact male, some of that could be secretions from the reproductive tract mixing with the urine.

I'd suggest a urinalysis as soon as possible, as male cats with untreated bladder inflammation can develop so much sludge in the bladder that they become obstructed, requiring catheterization and hospitalization. If the urinalysis doesn't show any inflammatory cells, then it's likely that there's just secretions from the reproductive organs that are contributing to the jelly-like appearance.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you Drew is there a food recommended that might prevent bladder problems if that's what it is or anything that i can give him to keep him calm and unstressed at night until he's neutered?
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 5 years ago.
I would not suggest any diet change without diagnosing the problem first. An unnecessary diet change just adds stress to an already stressed-out cat. You could try Feliway, which is a synthetic pheromone product, it may provide some slight benefit... but the hormones in his bloodstream are powerful, and overall, the only thing that will help reduce the stress, is neutering ASAP.