Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

What dosage of Xanax can I give my 10lb cat to calm her for

Customer Question

What dosage of Xanax can I give my 10lb cat to calm her for a much needed haircut and nail trim?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 5 years ago.
I don't truly believe Xanax is going to work in the way you intend it to for doing a haircut or nail trim.

In addition, if Xanax was never prescribed to Miley (for example, its your Xanax), you really don't want to give it.

You would really want to get a sedative from your vet, or find a vet that can sedate her and has a groomer on staff.

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/alprazolam-xanax/page1.aspx

The link will answer probably what you are looking for, but I would not use Xanax for this purpose.

Hope that info helps
Good Luck

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I greatly appreciate when you click “ACCEPT” if you have found the advice helpful or informative, so I may receive credit for the answer. Receiving feedback and bonuses is happily welcomed.
The answer provided is for information only. Unfortunately, I cannot legally prescribe medications or offer a definitive diagnosis without performing a physical examination. If you have any concerns please contact your primary veterinarian, or contact an ER facility if this is an emergency. REMEMBER: Even after you click "ACCEPT" and your question closes, you can still review our discussion.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sure in a perfect situation we would love to take her to our vet. Unfortunately times are very tight with money in our household and we dont want bills we cant pay. My wife is a nurse so we had hoped the xanax dosage would work to calm her. If not I could wear heavy gloves and try and hold her. Any suggestions that wont cost us so much?
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 5 years ago.
First,
Many vets offer a free examination to new clients so call around.

Click on the below link and enter your zip code to the right. If you find a local hospital, their website will have a link to a free examination voucher.
http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/

Other than the exam, you are only looking at the cost of a sedative. Certainly, the vet may suggest doing at least a basic blood test before describing a sedative. But, that is very reasonable to expect as I wouldn't suggest giving Xanax either without a blood test.

Lastly, I really don't think Xanax is going to have the appropriate affect to calm for a grooming.