Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

My cat has a semi hard lump on her lower right jaw. It is covering

My cat has a semi hard lump on her lower right jaw. It is covering her bottom row of teeth. When pulling the swollen part from her teeth it looks like either the teeth or the lump is bleeding. Not alot but when she is sleeping the salva drools from that side of the mouth. She eats drinks and goes to the bathroom as nothing is wrong. But I also know cats have strong pain threshold. What can I do to get the swelling down with having a huge vet bill? Thank you Maria
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
Hello Maria.
Well, if it is an infection (abscess), Gizzy will need to be started on immediate antibiotics! No options!

Sometimes, if there is a lot of secondary swelling, the vet will recommend a anti-inflammatory medication.

However, very dangerous making any assumptions with a 14 year old cat.

We do not know if this is associated with cancer.

Ideally, one of the first steps for a vet who is uncertain what the lump may be, is a simple fine needle aspirate test.

A fine-needle aspirate test is performed usually without anesthesia and is very quick. Your veterinarian takes a few needle samples from the lump (the needle is no larger than the needle used to give vaccines). The sample is smeared on to microscope slides and submitted to the laboratory. It is not always as definitive as a biopsy (this is a full tissue sample), but often it can yield enough information to help guide you and your vet as to whether a biopsy is needed, or if surgery should be performed.

It would be unfair, at this point, to assume there is any simple and cheap fix for this situation. Got to start with an examination and build off of it. I hope everything works out and the vet can formulate a inexpensive plan for you.

Good Luck

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I greatly appreciate when you click “ACCEPT” if you have found the advice helpful or informative, so I may receive credit for the answer. Receiving feedback and bonuses is happily welcomed.
The answer provided is for information only. Unfortunately, I cannot legally prescribe medications or offer a definitive diagnosis without performing a physical examination. If you have any concerns please contact your primary veterinarian, or contact an ER facility if this is an emergency. REMEMBER: Even after you click "ACCEPT" and your question closes, you can still review our discussion.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I checked in her mouth again and she is bleeding from the lump her gum looks pink does this mean that it is draining?
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
No.
It means it is very inflamed and probably ulcerated.

Draining would infer there is a hole in a lump/swelling and you see mucuoid-like discharge or pus coming out.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No just blood.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
the last doctor hasn't replied it is only bleeding in her mouth and it is when I move the lump. He asked if there was any puc or mucus and said no and he hasn't replied. I want to know being that it is only bleeding no pus or muscus could it be something else different from what the Dr suggested?
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
Sorry for delay, had to "tend to" my 3 year old.

Even with only blood, it could still represent an tumor, cyst, swelling associated with severe periodontal disease, a tooth root abscess, to name a few.

However, the concern is that with just some manipulation of it, there is bleeding. That, in itself, warrants more immediate examination.

I do not doubt it is uncomfortable.
I hope that clarifies.
Sorry again for delay.

Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience: UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management