Vet help
Vet help, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years experience as a small animal veterinarian; 21 yrs exp. in animal care field
883989

Do raccoons kill cats

Do raccoons kill cats?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Vet help replied 5 years ago.
I hope your question does not indicate that Shorty was killed. If it does, please accept my condolences on the loss of your friend.

Raccoons do not generally "pick a fight" with a cat, and most cats are smart enough to stay away from a raccoon.

However, if the cat did happen to attack the raccoon, or they happened to startle each other coming around a dark corner, they certainly could get into an altercation. Raccoons can be very vicious when they are fighting and could easily kill a cat.

If your cat was injured or killed by a raccoon, it is important that you wear gloves to prevent possible exposure to Rabies. Raccoons can become infected with this deadly disease and it is spread through saliva. So, if an animal has been bitten by a rabid raccoon, the Rabies virus would be on that animals' skin and haircoat, putting anyone handling the animal at risk. If you believe you could have been exposed to raccoon saliva, consult your doctor right away, to be safe.