brisadog
brisadog,
Experience:  dasdasd
25524280

Woke up this morning and my cats mouth is stuck open. He is

Woke up this morning and my cats mouth is stuck open. He is an indoor cats. We took him to the vet and they sedated him and said that it is like TMJ. Basically, after taking $217, we still have NO ANSWERS as to what we should do. He can't eat, can't drink, and we fear that he will not survive like this. They sent him home sedated, and he is trying to walk and run. I can't keep him calm, and he is very hungry. He really needs help and we can't afford much. Thank you.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  brisadog replied 5 years ago.
Did Bubba have xrays of his TM joint and his jaw?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have contacted the vet to no avail. They did NOT do any x-rays, and told us just to massage it. I think we should ask for our money back from them. All they did was sedate him, took a stool sample because he pooed after sedation. They also gave him Convenia Injections, Dexamethsone 2mg and Depo-Medrol injectable. I have no idea what all this is.
Expert:  brisadog replied 5 years ago.

Oh dear. With a mouth that is stuck open, I would be concerned about a mandible (lower jaw) fracture or dislocation of his TM joint. I would definitely take xray to see if we could confirm one of these conditions. Once we have a diagnosis, we can start a treatment plan (jaw repair or re-placement of the luxated joint).

Convenia is an antibiotic, and both dexamethasone and DepoMedrol are steroids. None of this is definitive treatment for his condition.

Although I don't know how this happened, especially in an indoor cat (fell off a cabinet or something else high off the floor?), I highly doubt that he will improve with a few injections and some massage.

I recommend getting a second opinion locally and requesting xrays. You may even be able to get a referral to a veterinary dentist in your area (there aren't too many of these however).

Good luck.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. If you are satisfied with my answer, please click on the green Accept button. Positive feedback is always appreciated. Thanks.