Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Can humans catch distemper and What can happen to a person

Customer Question

Can humans catch distemper and What can happen to a person that gets crached by a cat?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 5 years ago.

Dr Kara :

Hello, I am sorry to hear that your cat is sick.
Humans cannot catch feline distemper.

Dr Kara :

It is a parvovirus that is specific for cats, although wild cats can ctach it from domestic cats.

Dr Kara :

Cats can carry some nasty bacteria in their mouths and claws however so if your cat scratches you the scratch should be washed well with hot water and anti-bacterial soap.
If you see redness, discharge or swelling at the scratch are you should consult your doctor.

Dr Kara :

Cats can carry the Rabies virus however, although it would be highly unlikely this little one has it at only 8 weeks.
That virus is transmitted via saliva injected into a person via a bite wound.
Symptoms tend to involve the nervous system, not the respiratory system.

Dr Kara :

Your kitten sounds like he Herpes Virus or Calici Virus or a Chlamydia infection by the symptoms you have reported. These all cause sneezing, eye discharge and a fever. Infected cats will lose their appetite and feel poorly.

Dr Kara :

Distemper in cats (parvovirus) causes gastrointestinal symptoms - vomiting, diarrhea, fever, and sometimes low numbers of platelets (cells that help with clotting).

JACUSTOMER-us3gbfct- :

I have been told to watch if a barn cat has distemper. How do you know if they have it ? when they live in the barn. what do I do to help him get well? Questin above.

Dr Kara :

Distemper in cats (parvovirus) causes gastrointestinal symptoms - vomiting, diarrhea, fever, and sometimes low numbers of platelets (cells that help with clotting). I don't think that is what your cat has.

Dr Kara :

Your kitten sounds like he has Herpes Virus or Calici Virus or a Chlamydia infection by the symptoms you have reported. These all cause sneezing, eye discharge and a fever. Infected cats will lose their appetite and feel poorly.

Dr Kara :

Treatment for these diseases is based on supportive care, keeping him warm, feeding him soft,soupy foods to lap up easily and increase hydration.

Dr Kara :

If he'll stay in the house then putting him in the bath when you take a hot shower may ease his congestion.

Dr Kara :

And if he scratches you be aware that cats can carry some nasty bacteria in their mouths and claws however so if your cat scratches you the scratch should be washed well with hot water and anti-bacterial soap.

Dr Kara :

Are you still there?

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 5 years ago.
I am sorry that we lost our connection. Please reply with any further questions.