Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 23 years. Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

Do cats eat or kill roaches?

Do cats eat or kill roaches? I've never had a roach problem, but usually I would fumigate twice a year, but I can't do that with my kittens here. And I saw a roach today. I can't put out roach motels like I would normally do, because that would poison my cats, too, wouldn't it? What do you suggest?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Candy replied 5 years ago.

Cats will play with a roach just like any other bug some will eat them others will just play with them until they die.

They will not kill them quick enough to provide roach control so if you are seeing them you want to do something. Many companies now have pet safe products. I have 8 pets and have my home treated bi- monthly with no problems.

The Raid roach traps (hotels) are not considered toxic to house pets. There is not enough bait in there to be toxic however if they ingest the plastic this can be a problem.

Here is a pet safe recipe for roach traps you can make yourself

I would call your local pet control company and ask if they use pet safe products.

I hope all goes well,please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So even if I use this recipe for roach killer, I can only use it in places my cats can't get to? If that's true, I might as well use the roach motels.
Expert:  Candy replied 5 years ago.
Yes but some owners feel better using this . Another thing that you can try that is not toxic to your cats is

Diatomaceous earth You do want to remove then form the room because this is a powder but once it is down and there is no duct even if they were to step in it or lick it would be safe

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How long would I have to keep them out of a room I was putting it down in? It says that "snuffing" it isn't good, but won't my cats do exactly that? How much would I use? Most of my apt is carpeted.
Expert:  Candy replied 5 years ago.

I would just put it along the edge of the inside of cabinets in the kitchen and under the sink in the bathroom that is often enough to control them. If they were to sniff it may cause some irritation but I can honestly say that we recommend it to all of our clients to help with flea control here in Florida and I have never seen any problems. All you need is a small line along the edge of the cabinets.You do not have to put it completely out in the open. You want to put it where the roaches hide

I would keep them out 5-10 minutes the dust settles quickly