Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM degree from Ontario Veterinary College
20949193

my cat has little blister like bumps on his belly some have

Customer Question

my cat has little blister like bumps on his belly some have scabbed up and where all of them are its a bald spot he keeps licking the spot the spot started out small and now its 4 inch area round with diffent size blisters some look red some white and the scasbbed ones brown what can it be he is an indoor cat and only one year old I did take him for a walk the other day and it seems to have happened after the walk could stress have caused this
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 3 years ago.
Hi there.

This could be one of several things, considering his age and your description:

1. Flea bite hypersensitivity; in those cats that are allergic to flea saliva, even one bite can induce an allergic reaction, skin inflammation and infection. Even indoor cats can get fleas unfortunately, so this is the most likely; you don't often see adult fleas on cats, which further confuses issues.

2. Allergic/contact dermatitis; exposure to something irritating (poison ivy?); inflammation possibly infection of the skin can then occur.

3. Viral infection; certain viral infections, such as herpes, can cause skin lesions.

4. Eosinophilic granuloma complex; this is a condition that can affect the skin of younger cats and involves dysfunction of the immune system.

5. Other allergies- airborne or food.

I would recommend taking Teddy to your vet this weekend and having him looked at to ensure its nothing serious; its better to get treatment started early rather than wait until things get worse.

Hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
he does not have herpes he has had all his needles it cant be food I have not haned his diet poison ivy sounds like the most viable answer and would that cause hair loss I looked at the blistes aain they are white and sorta flat with a with a super thin red circle around the outside and they are almost 1 cm in size and then there are some dried up ones and they hace turned brown the skin at first was very soft and I did not notice any blisters so the firsat two days no blisters and then today I noticed blisters and dried up ones and like i said the whole area is bald on his belly and it started out as a small area that was smooth and got bigger and bier ansd then got dry and blistery
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 3 years ago.
Unfortunately, some cats carry the herpes virus since birth and vaccine wont help. Food allergies aren't likely but not because you haven't changed the food but because he is so young: food allergies are more common in older cats; in order to develop an allergy to food, a cat has to have been eating it for a relatively long time without changing...

So the above possibilities still stand and I think its still best to have a vet examine him; it will be difficult to tell what this is and treat it with success without examination and at least some diagnostic testing.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok I will accept your answer but can you think o any other type of thin it may be I never heard you mention mange what other types of skin disorders are there can it be a parasite?