Dr. BJ Hughes
Dr. BJ Hughes, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  20+ years in feline medicine,surgery, and teaching. Special emphasis on educating owners.
31668627

My cat seems to have some soreness/irritation on his back left

My cat seems to have some soreness/irritation on his back left side/hip. He is acting normal (jumping off counter and walking normal), but when you pet him on the left back side he seems to want to bite as if it hurts or is tender. He does sleep in the sink a lot! I am not sure if he is sore from the time throughout they years he has done this, or if he has something actually wrong. There are no lumps or any redness in that area. Just wondering if this seems like an emergency situation because I don't want anything to be seriously wrong because as of right now, I am monitoring how he is acting and everything else is normal. Thank you so much!

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Hi there,

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Welcome to Just Answer.

Customer:

Hi. Thank you!

Dr. BJ Hughes :

From the description -- this may be part of normal biinting behavior -- or there may be mild pain in the pain -- but is probably not serious if he is moving normally, eating and drinking normally, and having normal eliminations.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

I think you can monitor him for a couple of days to see if this improves or gets worse --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

and a vet visit would be recommnended if this gets worse.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

You may consider a type of cushion or covering for the sink bowl to cushion him -- Like a sink liner --

Customer:

Ok. Yeah he plays with my other cat normally and everything. The only thing is he does drink a lot fo water. And what is binting-I'm sorry.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

(sorry -- a spelling error --- biting -- as in love biter )

Customer:

Ok I was also thinking that may be a good idea b/c maybe his hip is sore too. Oh! lol I did say he was a love biter! lol Ok so I will monitor him for a few days and try a cushion to see if it helps a bit:) Thank you!

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Very good --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

You are most welcome --

Customer:

Have a great day!

Dr. BJ Hughes :

I hope this information helps!
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.
The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian