Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.

My 15 yr. old cat cant meow anymore. Nothing comes out but

My 15 yr. old cat can't meow anymore. Nothing comes out but a whisper. Is this a serious problem, and what is the cause? Thanks!
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 5 years ago.

Hi there and welcome to Just answer!! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

It is not unusual for older cats to lose their voice due to scarring on their larynx. This can be caused by prior upper respiratory infections or by tumors or a mass in this area or a neurologic defect such as liver disease. Normally, this would not be a concern unless there is a tumor on the layrnx causing this or Rascal is suffering from liver disease. It is best to have your vet examine Rascal to know for sure.

Good Luck!

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I forgot to mention that Rascal also started pulling out his hair at the same time his voice disappeared. Are the two problems related?
It is hard to tell if they are related....the hair pulling could be caused by a hormone issue that is common in older neutered male cats or it could be due to feline dementia...I doubt that this voice problem is related to this.