Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

my cat is making grunting noises and seems to be having issues

my cat is making grunting noises and seems to be having issues breathing. Whats wrong with him?

Welcome to Just Answer. How long has Cloud been doing the grunting noise? Is he eating and drinking well? Is he going to the bathroom ok?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He just started grunting this morning. He's going to the bathroom normally and he seems to be eating and drinking also. Right now he's grunting and seems like he's trying to throw up.
Ok. Does he look really weak? Is he really stressed? Did he bring up anything?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He's acting normally i.e. tearing up things, jumping on tables etc, but when he starts choking and grunting he stays still for a while and only then he looks stressed. He still hasnt managed to throw up
Ok. I would be most suspicious that these grunting episodes are him showing he's got stomach upset - ie, he wants or feels like vomiting. Why is he having the vomiting could be due to a couple different reasons. It could be due to him having eaten something that is just not sitting well. It could also be due to something being stuck - a foreign body. It could be due to a hair ball. It could be due to other metabolic issues. Being able to tell what of these it is due to requires a physical exam, x-rays, and some blood work. At this time, it is always a good recommendation to have him seen as soon as possible to determine what is going on and how best he can be treated.

If a veterinary visit isn't possible here today, I'd fast him for 10 hours. No treats, no food, nothing.

After having access to the water for 1 hour, I'd offer him his food. If the vomiting doesn't start again, you can begin slowly mix in his regular food over the next few days until you're back to just it.

If the vomiting persists despite this, or if he becomes lethargic, begins to have diarrhea, strains to urinate, seems painful, or shows other 'unusual' signs, you need to have him seen by a vet to figure out what is going on.