Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Feline Veterinarian in Practice 15 Years

my cat has a large spot of hair missing on his back.what is

my cat has a large spot of hair missing on his back.what is the reason for this and can it be treated?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 3 years ago.

Hello. Thank you for asking your question on just answer. My name isXXXXX will try to help.

Where on his back is the hair loss? Lower back?

Is the skin in that area normal color or red?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the upper back close to his tail. the color seems to be black or natural skin color
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 3 years ago.

Thank you,

The most common cause of hair loss, on the lower back, is flea allergy dermatitis. If cats are allergic to flea saliva, one flea bite is all it takes to make the hair come out. The cats often pull the hair out when trying to get at the fleas. I would apply a dose of "feline advantage drops." You will need to apply one dose for the next three months because the fleas have already laid eggs and they will be hatching over the next few months. You can buy advantage online, at a vet clinic, or at petsmart.

To reduce the inflammation you can spray hydrocortisone spray on the affected area three times a day.

You can give an antihistamine to help with itching. The easiest one to do is 1/4 of a 10 mg zyrtec tablet once day.

He may have rubbed his back on something and it scraped the hair off.

It could also be ringworm.

Ringworm is a type of fungus that causes circular patches of hair to fall out. Sometimes it can make large areas of hair fall out. You will need to go to your vet to get this one diagnosed. Your vet will pluck some hairs from an affected are and culture the hairs to see if there is any fungal growth.

www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=559 ringworm

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
this is a very large portion of his top back. he recently had a flee collar on but some one replaced it with a different one. he has not been in my care for about a week or so.
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 3 years ago.

Flea collars do not work at all. Sorry.

He could also have a bacterial, or yeast, skin infection.

Like I said, the most common cause of hair loss over the back is flea allergy dermatitis so I would try treating for that first.

If he is not improving in 2-3 days then he will need further testing at a vet clinic to check for a fungal or bacterial infection.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thanks. we will give this a try.hopefully it will help him.
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 3 years ago.
Your welcome. Flea allergy dermatitis is very common and can make them lose most of the hair on their back as well as other places. The fleas like to bite the lower back because it is difficult for the pet to reach them there. That is why they hair loss often starts with the lower back.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
we just seen him on the patio and he also has two sores that are red with white circles on them. this i where the hair is missing.
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 3 years ago.

It sounds like he has "hot spots" which are localized areas of superficial skin infection.

The easiest thing to do is to take him to the vet where they will give him a cortisone injection, for inflammation, and antibiotics to fight infection.

If that is not an option, you can apply hydrocortisone and neosporin (antibiotic cream) to the affected areas three times a day. If he licks it off, it is not toxic but you will want to put a plastic cone collar/elizabethan collar on him so the medication stays on the skin. You can buy one of the elizabethan collars at the pet store.

Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: Feline Veterinarian in Practice 15 Years
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i'll get back to you and let you know if this works.