Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic cats, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.

My cat ate a mouse and has an out dated rabies shot. What

My cat ate a mouse and has an out dated rabies shot. What do I need to do?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for using, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

You do not need to worry about rabies when your cat eats a mouse. If a mouse had rabies (and it's impossibly rare) then the cat would have to eat the mouse literally just after it died otherwise the virus is not viable any more. Your cat is at almost no threat of rabies and many rabies shot last longer than the limit that drug companies put on them. Your cat is at a much greater risk of tapeworms which aren't that serious. If after a few weeks you notice grains of rice clinging to his rear end fur let the vet know and a tapeworm pill can be given.

I hope this helps, best wishes.
Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok. My cat killed the mouse, I am pretty sure he would have eaten it while it was dying, right? Also what if the mouse had ingested poisons and my cat ate the mouse, are there any symptoms I should look out for in terms of the cats reacting to any poison which may have been in the mouses' body?
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 5 years ago.
Rabies is still incredibly unlikely as most mice die from it long before they can infect other animals.

If the mouse was poisoned or you have poisons out then you'll notice lethargy, bruising and rapid breathing in 3-14 days.

If you suspect this is possible you should have your cat's blood clotting time tested on Monday. If it is normal then we don't have to worry.

Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
You would suggest waiting until Monday and not trying to take him to the vet tomorrow. Also if there was poison and he ingested it could that be lethal for him?
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 5 years ago.
If there was poison it could be lethal but the earliest it is detectable is 48 hours so a run to the vet tomorrow will produce a negative test regardless if he has the poison or not. If he goes on Monday and his clotting time is prolonged we still have plenty of time to use the antidote (vitamin K1).

Dr. Dan