DrChristineM, Veterinarian
Experience:  6 years in small animal medicine, focus on feline medicine

I would like to know the doxycycline dosage for cats per pound

I would like to know the doxycycline dosage for cats per pound to treat mycoplasma and chlamydia. If the Vibramycin comes in 25 mg/5 ml, what is the dosage for a 10 pound cat? I was told 3 mg/lb but that doesn't seem right... it would be a lot of liquid doxy to get down a cat of that size. What is the correct dosage?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  DrChristineM replied 5 years ago.
It is correct, and for this reason I personally don't use the Vibramycin formulation for cats or anything other than a very small breed dog. The pills are much easier to dose and give because of this problem.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, but then you have to deal with getting water down them or risking esophageal strictures.. not a good choice either
Correct. A reason to select another drug altogether. I personally use Baytril in these cases. (And before you say anything regarding side effects of Baytril, let me say two things 1) every drug has potential side effects, so trying to find one that doesn't is a useless activity and 2) Baytril's potential to cause blindness is extremely rare and only occurs in cats who are given doses exceeding the recommended dose.)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I had not heard or read that Baytril is effective against mycoplasma and/or chlamydia. What is the dosage of Baytril either per pound OR kg using the 2.27% injectible enrofloxacin?

Here is a website with some additional info on mycoplasma (and it also discusses the use Baytril):

Baytril is dosed at 5mg/kg. For the injectable, I usually use 1.0 mL per cat (unless the cat is much smaller than 10lbs.)