Dr. Steve
Dr. Steve, Veterinarian
Experience:  20 years of companion animal experience

My cat is on lasik medication that the ER vet prescribed. He

My cat is on lasik medication that the ER vet prescribed. He had fluid in his lungs. In 2008 he did not respond to Lasik meds. Now, vet wants him to be on the meds everyother day. He is chivering, hes had stress going to the vet today. Please HELP
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Steve replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Steve :

Hi, I;m Dr Steve . Did he have a fever when he was at the vet today?

Customer:

They didnt take his temperature :(

Customer:

I dont think he had a fever tho

Dr. Steve :

If he has fluids in his lungs, it could be caused by a few things. One would be congestive heart failure and that would respond to lasix or spironolactone. ANother possibility would be a respiratory infection. Often cats have a fever with this problem and the treatment is antibiotics.

Dr. Steve :

How long has he been on the lasix now?

Customer:

since friday. He responded well to the injection version when he was panting and out of breath and I took him to the ER. They gave him buprinex, o2 and lasik. He came home and was on Lasik dose is 1/2 a tablet orally. Next day, he didnt go the the bathroom and ate less than 1/4 food, I took him off Lasik took him in ER again. He saw a different Dr. who said he needs to eat asap. Tested for kidneys( creatine) levels were normal ( on the high end) so no sign of renal failure....

Customer:

and wanted to put him on an appetite stimulant to eat. I didnt want to give it to him and so the net day he ate a bit better and used litter bc he got off the Lasik. With the Lasik last two nights he didnt use litter. I took him in today because he is still having trouble breathing so vet increased Lasik dose, but I feel that the Lasik is not really helping him

Customer:

He had the same problem back in 2008 and they dx: open for respiratory difficulty

open for respiratory difficulty. Given that he has not signiicantly improved on Lasik therapy, we are not entirely convinced that all of his respiratory signs are related to underlying heart disease. He may have some degree of underlying respiratory disease ( asthma) to explan his increased respiratory efforts. Your options are to pursue additional diagnostics for respiratory disease (airway wash) empiracally treat for underlying respiratory disease ( bronchodialtors) or do nothing and see how he does. I of coarse chose the wait and see but now its back and ER DR wants to keep him on Lasik and do an echocardiogram bc she thinks it might be his heart when I think its a breathing/respiratory prob that is not being treated.

Customer:

the ER vet wants me to do an echocardiogram to rule out if its a heart problem and go from there, but Im concerned because right now hes not eating, looks sick is shivering and has difficulty breathing, going to the vet more then twice has caused him anxiety

Dr. Steve :

If you are convinced thet the lasix isn't helping you may want to go to your regular vet tomorrow and ask them to treat for respiratory disease. This will include antibiotics and bronchodilators could be given as well to give him some relief from the labored breathing.

Customer:

could the bronchodialators harm his heart if he has some CHF??

Customer:

why didnt the ER vet treat him for his breathing rather then tell me I need to do an echocardiogram first, meanwhile my cat is not getting worse or better.

Dr. Steve :

Usually I recommend taking sick animals to the vet to help stabilize them, but if he is stressed by going to the vet, you have to decide if a visit to the vet tonight will be more beneficial than the stress that it causes. The bronchodilators shouldn't have any negative effect on the heart if he has CHF.

Customer:

I know I have to rule out if its a heart prob and maybe there is something, I dont know. His vet from 2008 couldnt diagnose him thats why I was with my hand tied as to what to do back then and now its all come back

Dr. Steve :

SOme vets are more in the diagnose forst treat later and others look at trying to alleviate the problems as much as possible then confirm their suspicions with diagnostic testings

Dr. Steve :

It is probably more "correct" to do the testing first and an echocardiogram will tell you how his heart is. If he does have CHF, there are other diuretics that can be used instead of lasix, if lasix seems to cause him some problems.

Dr. Steve :

My suggestion would be to try to get through tonight either at home or by taking him to an ER clinic again to get his brerathing problem addressed and then follow up tomorrow with an echocradiogram . Then go forward from there after you know for sure what the problem is.

Customer:

Thats a good suggestion. Earlier today ( without the lasik) and last night my cat alternated between difficulty breathing ( breaths were 32 and then it increased and it decreased) so therefore I decided earlier to take him to the ER to have the dr look at his breathing problem. However, I was with my cat in the waiting room due to other er emergencies and spend 45 minutes with my cat waiting for the vet. This caused my cat to breathe even more and he was shivering as well. When the ER vet Dr. B came she gave him lasik then I went home. Once I arrived home, he started panting really bad, forcing me to take him AGAIN to the Er and they did oxygen , buprinex and more lasik. Now my vet wants me to give him lasik on a every other day basis.

Customer:

so I would start the dosage tomorrow morning but because now he is taking deeper breaths and is still shivering I am reluctant to once again do the Lasik. So I dont know if I give it to him his breathing doesnt get better, if I dont give it to him same thing

Dr. Steve :

I think having another vet look over his condition tomorrow and possibly have the echo done so you can base the treatments on what is going on. Your ER vet has assumed (and possibly correctly) that CHF is his problem. If it is then diuretics and bronchodilators are what is needed. If it isn't CHf, then more diagnostics may be necessary and appropriate treatments initiated. I hope this has helped. If it has would you please click the accept button so I may receive credit for my answer. Thank you and good luck. If you have more questions, please continue.

Customer:

Thank you. Quick qustion: Can Lasik harm him or help him?

Dr. Steve :

Usually if it is CHF, lasix works very well., but in his case determining if it is necessary is the next step. It shouldn't hurt him by giving it short term until you get the tests done.

Customer:

I want to do what my ER vet sayd but I just want to make sure I give him the Lasik tomorrow then I go to work, im not with him and he pants again and im not there

Customer:

how long would be sort term? couple of weeks, months?

Dr. Steve :

COuple of days, until you get the tests done and determined if CHF is his problem or not.

Customer:

In 2008 they reported that he wasnt significantl improved on Lasik. Now he is 12 yrs old and a lot could change but Its a lot of money his echo and want to do whats neccesary and get to what he has

Customer:

Im having a hard time honestly to find a good vet. Idk if I should take him back to his vet in 2008 since he knows his hx. but he is so expensive

Dr. Steve :

Things can change in a couple of years, so one option would be to try the lasix for a few weeks and see if it helps. You could talk to your vet about adding the bronchodilator o thelp with the breathing. Unfortunately tha tis a toughj decision about which vet to use. The previous vet knows his history, but that may not be terribly relevant since it has been 2 years.

Dr. Steve :

ANother vet may be ok as well. If you have friends that have pets, maybe they could suggest a vet that they are comfortable with.

Customer:

do you know any website to find a good one in my area I live in tampa fl

Dr. Steve :

YOu can googel teh Florida Veterinary Medical Association and they can give you a list of accredited vets in your area.

Customer:

Im currently with a nw vet but now I have doubts about him. My cat saw him due to arthritis like pain and he gave him metacam prednisone and metacarbomol then his WBC were a bit low and he recomended vitamin C, so he never really tx for his heart etc

Dr. Steve :

It may be time ot find a new vet for this problem.

Customer:

I agree. But different vets tell you different things.. what do you think about the hollistic approach? my Er vet recomended I take him to a holistic vet but idk if they do echo and hear things

Customer:

So to summarize( let me know if this is correct and add suggestions :) In terms of breathing would it be safe to not give him the lasik if I see its not making feel comfortable? or either way should I give it to him? ex: I give him the Lasik at 7am I go to work and dont come back til 6pm, Im afraid hell be panting, stuff like that

Dr. Steve :

I think you need to find a vet and either try the diuretics or the echo. Holistic medicines are sometimes helpful, but, often not strong enough to control some severe conditions. If you don't give him the lasix, he may be panting from the lung condition. SO without giving the lasix, things won't likely get better. By giving the lasix as directed, at least you have a chance to make him feel better.

Customer:

oh ok. What do I do about his eating? He is not eating very much if not at all. He drank water earlier but doesnt seem to have an appetive

Customer:

I go to work tomorrow and dont have anyone to feed him manually or monitor his eating :(

Dr. Steve :

You may need to take him to a vet tomorrow if possible so that the injection that seemed to help the other time a nd this may help make him feel better and start to eat .

Customer:

so thats why im concerned too bc with the lasik he could get dehydrated, and thats one of the side effects I read about

Dr. Steve :

As long as he has plenty of water available he shouldn't get dehydrated. It sounds like he needs to be seen to get him back on track.

Customer:

so even if I cant afford the echo this week, you are suggesting I see a regular vet to get him feeling better and get him on the brochodialters then do the echo?

Customer:

can I do that?

Dr. Steve :

Yes that would be the best option for you at this time.

Customer:

so if I choose a new vet without him really knowing him and his hx how can I get the best tx for my cat?

Dr. Steve :

You just have to explain his situation like you have with me. and they should understand what the situation is.

Customer:

oh ok. :) Do you know if the humane society would be a good place to take him?

Customer:

a clinic thats affordable and not pricey

Dr. Steve :

The humane society is only for adopting pets. They don't do vet work there. Unfortunately.

Customer:

Well if I cant take him to the vet for a ck up tomorrow if I wait til tues wil that be ok

Customer:

I know the sooner the better I just dont knw if I can call out tomorrow

Dr. Steve :

That should be fine as long as he doesn't get worse.

Customer:

worse as in the panting comes back?

Dr. Steve :

Yes. I hope this has helped. I have to go see an emergency that has come in . If you have mroe querstions, I will try to answer ,them later tonight. Good luck with everything

Customer:

My other vet ER doctor gave me a rx to stimulate his appetite called Mirtazapine

Customer:

Oh ok. Just let me know if I can give the Mirtazapine along with the lasik together and side effects of Mirtazapine, thanks

Customer:

do I click accept now?

Customer:

Hi I have a few more questions before I leave. sorry to bother you

Dr. Steve :

Yes I ahve ahd clients give lasix and Mirtazapine and haven't seen side effects. This hmay work well for you . I check in throughout the day so if you could ask your quesitons and leave thime her, I wil check later tomorrow. Good luck and thank you . If you want, you could click teh accept button and still access this questions for a few more days.

Dr. Steve, Veterinarian
Experience: 20 years of companion animal experience