CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

Can I and should I give a kitten- Falcon eyedrops (Neo-Poly-Dex

Can I and should I give a kitten- Falcon eyedrops (Neo-Poly-Dex Ophthalmic). The kitten squints in one eye, has minor swelling in cheek and has watery discharge. It is 2.5 weeks old. This may be a scratch or an infection. We give the eye drops to our older cats for weeping eye (the older cats are of no relation to the kitten).

Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

It sounds as if your kitten may have a conjunctivitis, which is often part of the URI syndrome.

This link should help:

http://www.petplace.com/cats/conjunctivitis-in-cats/page1.aspx

I would NOT give that medication. If there is an infection or scratch - the DEX part of the medication can make this MUCH MUCH MUCH worse!!!

Options for at home care include:

- To try to warm compress the eye with a clean, damp, warm cloth. This will help with inflammation in the area.

- The second recommendation is to try to flush the eye with a sterile saline solution. I am referring to a normal, over the counter saline solution commonly found in the same aisle of the grocery story or drugstore as contact solution.

- If this does not work - seeing your veterinarian for evaluation and likely topical antibiotics would be recommended.

I hope this helps!
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe