CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

My cat is sneezing a lot, she has no other symptoms, shes

My cat is sneezing a lot, she has no other symptoms, she's no actibf strange or does she seem to be in any pain. Can she have allergies and what should I do?

Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

Is she indoors only?

Any discharge from the eyes or nose?

-

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Mostly indoors, but I do have a Terrace with the door always open. No discharge just a wet nose.
2 possible causes for your description seem most likely.

1) Upper Respiratory Viral Infection (the most likely).

Cats commonly get viruses - we tend to group this into the category of feline (cat) upper respiratory infections. These are usually self-limiting, viral infections that can last 7-10 days or so. Similar to the herpes virus / cold sores - in people - we tend to see this when a cat is stressed.

Common signs of a cat upper respiratory infection include:
- Sneezing
- Nasal Discharge
- Red eyes
- Ocular discharge (one or both)
- Even decreased appetite, lethargy and vomiting.

2) An allergy or sensitivity.

I do there there is little risk in trying a course of an antihistamine (Benadryl) in case this is an allergy. If you would like to do that...The dose will be 1mg for every 1 pound of body weight. For example, a 10 pound cat should receive 10mg of benadryl. You can start and then give a dose every 12 hours thereafter. Please be certain it is the product consisting of only Diphenhydramine and DOES NOT CONTAIN ANY OTHER INGREDIENTS SUCH AS A DECONGESTANT.

Other options for at home care include:

One recommendation is saline drops to use to moisten and flush the nose. Although I am not promoting this company or brand, this is one that I have used in the past:
http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/catalog/shop_product_detail.jsp?filterBy=&skuId=107863&productId=107863&navAction=jump&navCount=3

The other recommendation would be humidification. You can either use a children's / baby's humidifier for 10-15 minutes twice daily, or using the steam from a hot shower you can attempt to humidify the air that your cat breathes.

I hope this information is helpful.
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If it is a rspiratory infection will the benadry clear that or do I need to take her to a vet?

This will clear on its own if this is just a viral URI.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.