Denise Colgrove
Denise Colgrove, Veterinarian
Experience:  Internship and residency at UCD. 47 years experience.

cat is making/has been making wheezing noises, snoring noises

cat is making/has been making wheezing noises, snoring noises usually continually. Also it seems to be very weak or have bad balance. It vomints different amounts each week. Sometimes 2 times a week and sometimes a few more.It is also deaf i believe. So some genetics are bad here as well. It meows very loud( maybe becuase of hearing) and sleeps for days at a time in the same spot. Other times it moves around the room several times a night picking spots to sleep. It is about 3-5 years old. I found it outside under a tarp where it stayed for 2 weeks until i brought it inside. Any help would be appreciated. THanks
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Denise Colgrove replied 5 years ago.

Denise Colgrove :

Hi there,

Denise Colgrove :

I nwonder if this cat may have cerebellar hypoplasia. It is a congenital defect from the virus of panleucopenia which the mother cat has somewhere in the last trimester of pregnancy or when it is just a week or so old. That accounts for the strange balance or weakness. It may have chronic sinusitis causing the snuffling snoring wheezing sounds and the vomiting may be due to hair balls. Many cats vomit a couple of times a week and live fine with it. There is also a condition called inflammatory bowel disease that can cause vomiting which is a chronic condition. If the cat is maintaining his weight OK I wouldn't worry. It might be a good idea to give Cat Lax or Laxatone or Petromalt a couple of times a week to see if that helps. Intermittent antibiotic episodes help control the upper respiratory sounds but you won't cure any of these things.

Customer: Ok. I appreciate your insight. The cat has short hair so was thinking not a hairball but what about asthma or heart worms or pulmonary edem