Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My cat has been sneezing, multiple times in a row, I am assuming

Customer Question

My cat has been sneezing, multiple times in a row, I am assuming allergies, with occasional eye running. He weighs approx 18 lbs, can I give him Benadryl?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 years ago.
Hello.

It sounds like your cat has an URI (upper respiratory infection). This is very common in cats and causes sneezing, nasal discharge and ocular discharge. The cause of a URI in a cat is usually viral (herpes or chlamydia most commonly).

These URI's will usually run their course and resolve over 1-2 weeks. In severe cases I like to put these cats on an antibiotic to treat/ prevent any secondary infections. Something you can do at home to help with the nasal congestion is run a hot shower and put the cat in the bathroom. This can help break up the congestion. Other than that, you usually just have to ride out the signs and wait for it to resolve on it's own.

As for benadryl, you can give Benadryl at a dose of 1-2 mg per lb every 6-8 hours as needed.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.