Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet experience in medicine and surgery.

my cat is having allergies. can i give her cetirizine HCL

my cat is having allergies. can i give her cetirizine HCL?
Hello there,

Has the cat been vaccinated and wormed?

Does she go outside?

Any recent diet changes?

Is there any nasal discharge?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I adopted her when she was 8 months old in Feb 2010 with all of her shots. She did have worms at that point, but I dewormed her using a medication recommended by her foster mom.

She is an indoor cat, however I have a 3rd floor balcony she is welcome to enjoy.

No new diet changes. No nasal discharge. Her eyes have been watery. Her mood is still light and bubbly, but she's not quite as energetic.

Thank you for your time.

Zyrtec has been used in cats at 5 mg every 24 hours for allergies but there is not alot of research behind it yet. It is supposed to be more effective than chlorpheniramine and Benadryl but it does not work on all cats.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I understand it's impossible to truly know what is causing her to sneeze but, in your opinion, do you think it's just allergies? If her symptoms persist, how many days can I safely keep her on Zyrtec before I should seek veterinary help?

If the cat has allergies there should be improvement after 1-2 doses. If the symptoms persist longer than that she should be checked over by your vet.