Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience treating dogs, cats, mice, rats, rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters, & iguanas
49838867

my cat has an upset stomach he is walking around not eating

my cat has an upset stomach he is walking around not eating has thrown up yesterday and today it was a yellow stomach bile and now it is just white and bubbly
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.

Dr Kara :

Hello. I'm sorry to hear about Anubis. When is the last time he ate well? Is he urinating and defecating?

Dr Kara :

Is he drinking water and keeping that down? How often is he vomiting? Is he bright and alert otherwise? Does he go outdoors? Is he a fella that hunts or eats things he should not?

Customer:

not sure he seems happy still not lethargic bad spelling

Customer:

no he is an indoor cat now

Customer:

since yesterday evening he has not eaten that i have seen

Customer:

he is sleeping a lot today

Customer:

he has only thrown up once today

Customer:

twice last night

Dr Kara :

Thank you. And did that food stay down or did he vomit that up?

Customer:

the food he did eat yesterday stayed down yes

Customer:

we do not feed him table scraps he pretty much eats the same food no milk a cat treat once in awhile

Dr Kara :

Thanks! So it sounds like something is upsetting his stomach but there's no blockage as last night's dinner wasn't vomited up. That's good news. Can you press on his belly for me and see if you can feel if he is painful or if he has a big bladder? It will feel baseball sized and will be in the back of his abdomen, near his rear legs and spine.

Dr Kara :

Whenever a male cat is vomiting and doesn't want to eat I become concerned about a urinary blaockage. Since we aren't sure about his litter box I just want to make sure he doesn't have a big full bladder in there.

Customer:

no pain no swelling or hard knot feel just round and rolly polly

Dr Kara :

Thanks. Then let's treat her stomach upset, unknown cause.

Dr Kara :

sorry "his"

Dr Kara :

Start with pepcid-ac (famotidine) at 0.25mg to 0.5mg per pound orally every 12 hours. That's 1/2 of a 10mg tablet per 10 to 20 pound cat every 12 hours. This will reduce stomach acidity.

Customer:

he is 20 pounds last vet visit

Dr Kara :

Then later this afternoon offer him some tuna juice flavored water to interest him in drinking. If that goes well then 2 hours later we'll start a bland diet.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

what is a bland diet for a cat

Dr Kara :

A bland diet for cats is 2/3 boiled chicken and 1/3 plain boiled white rice.

Customer:

ok same as a dog

Dr Kara :

Yes, very similar, altho I offer dogs more rice. Start by offering a couple tablespoons every few hours and work up to 1/4 cup 2 to 3 times daily for 2 to 3 days.

Customer:

ok thank you so much

Dr Kara :

Once his stomach is settled, no vomiting for 24 to 48 hours start mixing in his regular food.

Customer:

ok

Dr Kara :

It should take about a week to slowly increase his regular food and decrease the bland diet so he's back totally on regular food.

Customer:

ok

Dr Kara :

Don't try and go too quickly or he may get an upset tummy again. And watch his litter box closely. We want to make sure he's urinating. He won't produce much stool with a bland diet so don't worry about that,

Dr Kara :

Any questions?

Customer:

no that should do it. i was just not sure what i could give a cat for an upset tummy thank you for all your help.

Dr Kara :

You are very welcome. And if you want to use pepcid for a few days it's very safe so that's fine.

Customer:

ok

Dr Kara :

Are we all set?

Customer:

yes thank you.

Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience: Over 20 years of experience treating dogs, cats, mice, rats, rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters, & iguanas