Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

my cats third eyelids are showing in both eyes. vet said this

my cats third eyelids are showing in both eyes. vet said this could be cat flu and gave him antibiotics, but 1 week later there is no change. he isnt off food and drinking plenty of fluids. he still likes to go out wondering for a few hours per day and doesnt have a problem going to the toilet. i have another cat that doesnt seem to have this happening to her.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 6 years ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. There are multiple causes of third eyelid protrusion in cats. It can be related to pain associated with the eye (such as a corneal ulcer), a neurologic condition called Horner's syndrome (usually affects one eye), tumors in the area, a congenital problem or tranquilization. In this case, though, with everything else being normal, I suspect it may be a condition called Haws syndrome. It is a neurologic problem that is thought to be related to mild gastrointestinal issues. It usually resolves in 3-4 weeks and causes no ill side effects. If everything else is normal, I would continue to watch him for a few weeks to see if it resolves. It not, a recheck at your vet may be in order. The website below will have a lot more information for you about third eyelid protrustion in cats. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Hope this helps.

http://www.petplace.com/cats/protrusion-of-third-eyelid-in-cats/page1.aspx