Dr. Lee
Dr. Lee, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  7 years of experience in veterinary medicine and surgery
20804272

my cats skin is coming off his back vet says its Cushings

my cat's skin is coming off his back
vet says its Cushing's Syndrome and we should put him down.
he does not appear to be in any pain
around 14 years old.
what can we try?
is Vetoryl used for cats?

thank you.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Lee replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Lee :

Hi. I'm Dr. Lee and will do my best to help.

Dr. Lee :

Is the skin coming off or the hair?

Dr. Lee :

What tests did your vet run or do?

Dr. Lee :

And what are the results?

Customer:

skin with hair on it..about 1" x 2"

Customer:

no tests

Dr. Lee :

Does he lick or scratch at it?

Customer:

no...

Dr. Lee :

It is rare for a cat to have cushing's disease, not impossible.

Dr. Lee :

With that said, thyroid problem is also possible, as well as skin parasites, just to name a couple.

Dr. Lee :

Your vet needs to run some tests to find out.

Customer:

can Vetoryl be used for cats?

Dr. Lee :

At the minimum, a full panel of blood and urine test is needed, as well as skin scraping test and skin cytology test.

Dr. Lee :

Vetoryl is normally used in dogs. But it can be used in cats, but rarely.

Customer:

what if it is Cushings?

Dr. Lee :

Hyperadrenocorticism.

Dr. Lee :

It is an increase in steroid production in the body.

Dr. Lee :

At this point, he really needs those tests.

Dr. Lee :

That is, if you want to find out what is really going on.

Dr. Lee :

We can not start treatment without confirming the disease process.

Dr. Lee :

Do you have any questions or concerns?

Customer:

What if it is Cushing any treatment

Dr. Lee :

I hope you understand one thing, it is not likely to be Cushing's. You are looking into something that is uncommon.

Dr. Lee :

The fact that he is a diabetic in itself, if not controlled properly, can also lead to skin issues.

Customer:

that is what he said

Customer:

please answer re" Vetoryl

Dr. Lee :

I already told you, Vetoryl can be used in cats. But it is off label use.

Dr. Lee :

I am trying to get you to understand what is going on here, instead of simply asking for question and getting a simple answer that is completely unrelated.

Customer:

thank you

Dr. Lee :

Even IF it is cushing's disease, further study is needed to determine if this is a cancer or not.

Dr. Lee :

If it is cancer, medications will NOT help at all.

Dr. Lee :

Vetoryl is used for pituitary dependent hyperadrenocorticism, not if there is a cancer at the adrenal gland.

Dr. Lee :

So telling you that vetoryl is used in cats will simply give you the false impression that you can use the drug to help your cat Chewie.

Dr. Lee :

If you want to help him, you need to get a full panel of bloodwork done, with urinalysis, at the bare minimum.

Customer:

sounds like there is not much hope

Dr. Lee :

If your vet does not want to do so, then go seek out another vet.

Dr. Lee :

If he really has cushing's disease, then his diabetes would not be under controlled, and he should be pretty sick right now.

Dr. Lee :

Do you have any other questions or concerns?

Customer:

no thank you

Dr. Lee :

If you are satisfied with my help, please press Accept so the system can acknowledge my work here. Any follow up questions can be posted on the Q&A session without further charges.

Expert:  Dr. Lee replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Lee replied 3 years ago.

If you are satisfied with my help, please press ACCEPT so the system can acknowledge my work here. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. Thanks.

Dr. Lee, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: 7 years of experience in veterinary medicine and surgery