Dr. BJ Hughes
Dr. BJ Hughes, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  20+ years in feline medicine,surgery, and teaching. Special emphasis on educating owners.
31668627

I think my cat just ate my armour thyroid medication. He has

I think my cat just ate my armour thyroid medication. He has a habit of knocking over my vitamins and I put my thryoid meds to take out early in the morning, an hour before I get up. He has never eaten any of them before, but because I can't find the thyroid pills I am concerned that he ate them. My husband is deployed and I am in the house alone, with no one to take the cat to the vet. What should I do?

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Hi there --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Welcome to Just Answer.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

How long ago did this happen? and how many and what concentration (how many mg) ?

Customer:

About 20-30 minutes ago. 210 mg. of armour are missing. I looked all around and found the container that had been knocked off the nightstand empty and behind the door. I don't know if he rolled the cup around the room and lost them that way or if he ate them. I just checked on him and he is ok. His pupils look ok...not dilated.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

ok --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Is that 210 mg total -- that he may have eaten ?

Customer:

yes

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Ok -- if your cat is in good health otherwise -- it would be best to induce vomiting

Dr. BJ Hughes :

This is done with hydrogen peroxide --

Customer:

how do I do that?

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Do you have hydrogen peroxide or can get soem very very quickly -?

Customer:

I don't think I have any of that either...I will have to call a neighborl

Customer:

calling

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Ok -- give 1 teaspoon per 5 pounds -- orally --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

this can be a chore -- and you will need ot be careful that it is not inhaled --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

vomiting should occur with in 15 minutes -- if not, you can repeat this up to 2 times --

Customer:

ok

Dr. BJ Hughes :

This medication is not highly toxic -- but that amount id very large - - and if veterinary assistance is not accessable then this is the best thing to do to prevent any symptoms before is has been about 2 hours after ingestion (does not work after that time)

Customer:

ok..she has some and is bringing it down

Customer:

thank you. It has not been longer than 40 minutes

Customer:

going to get it...are yoj goig to hang on?

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Ok

Dr. BJ Hughes :

There is not a veterinary literature on the toxicity of this product -- I can find reference that 60 mg is LIKELY not to be toxic -- but no guarantees ==

Dr. BJ Hughes :

so if your cat is otherwise healthy it may be best to err on the side of safety --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Hydrogen peroxide can be mixed with a bit of food --- but cats will frequently simple refuse even attempts to force

Customer:

I gave it to him...and I think it is already starting to work.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Usually takes a little bit --

Customer:

he threw up twice...there was a milky film around the food...and hair...is that just the hydrogen peroxide or could it be the dissolved thyroid pills (which are white)

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Generally -- the action of the hydrogen peroxide will empty the contents of the stomach -- so if it was less than an hour ago -- and vomiting has occured -- it likelyemptyied the contents.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

I cannot find a reference as to what you should look for with this supplement at usch a level in cats -- ususlly I like to give this -- just in case --

Customer:

it was less than an hour for sure...I just put them out on our way to bed. I won't be doing THAT again...time for a new procedure. Thank you!

Dr. BJ Hughes :

but I can give you a reference link --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

There is a charge for service --

Customer:

you said twice. Should I give him another round of the hydrogen peroxide or not? Oh that is a good link. For your service. I know...I have to click the accept button and it is $18.00

Dr. BJ Hughes :

But generally -- you can feed yoru cat after this in about an hour or two -- something small and bland -- not much --

Customer:

what would you recommend as small and bland?

Dr. BJ Hughes :

NO -- not if it produced vomiting -- more doses are in case there is not vomiing with the first

Customer:

ok.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Possibly a bit of chicken or ground beef boiled -- cooked white rice -- mixed up

Dr. BJ Hughes :

of a small bit of cat food --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

do not be surprised if yoru cat is not hungry until tommorrow.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

You are welcome

Dr. BJ Hughes :

I hope this information helps!
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.
The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian