Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

MY CAT IS BREATHING WEIRD, MOUTH OPEN, LAYING AROUND, WONT

MY CAT IS BREATHING WEIRD, MOUTH OPEN, LAYING AROUND, WON'T EAT he seems lethargic
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 years ago.

Rebeccavet :

Hi JACustomer,

Rebeccavet :

I am sorry to hear about Breyer.

Rebeccavet :

Open mouthed breathing is a sign of a veterinary emergency. He may have asthma, fluid in his lungs, or a heart condition, but he almost certainly needs immediate medical care.

Customer:

Don't know what to do. He's breathing weird, mouth open, and I think lethargic. Won't eat

Rebeccavet :

Cats don't breathe with their mouths open, unless there is a lot of the lung unavailable to take in oxygen.

Customer:

Can it wait til tomorrow

Rebeccavet :

He should get to a veterinarian as soon as possible. I truly could not promise you he will survive the night. He might, of course, but he is telling you that he is in real trouble, from what you describe.

Customer:

is there anything I can do. Try to see if he will eat, give him water. How do I tell if he has a temp. His gums look fine color

Rebeccavet :

The only way to tell if he has a normal temperature is with a rectal thermometer. Normal is 101 to 102 F. If he is 103 or higher, or under 100, he is in need of medical attention.

Rebeccavet :

If this is an asthma attack (does any one in the house smoke cigarettes? That is a leading cause of asthmatic cats), he needs steroids, and NOW. If this is a lung infection, he needs antibiotics. If he has fluid in his lungs, it may need to be drained.

Rebeccavet :

He may need to be in an oxygen cage.

Rebeccavet :

It is a good sign if his gums are pink, at least.

Customer:

He was fine yesterday, this morning I notice him sort of coughing and when I put dinner out and called his name he didn't come. He does go outside. I thought he was outside, but wasn't and he has been inactive, breathing weird, etc since

Customer:

what would hit so fast?

Rebeccavet :

Asthma is the most likely cause of a young cat suddenly having to breathe with his mouth open. However, without being able to examine him and listen to his lungs with a stethoscope, I could not say for sure what his problem is.

Rebeccavet :

Or, when he was out, he could have had some trauma that has caused fluid (blood, for instance) to leak into the lungs.

Customer:

does asthma occur that quick

Customer:

can it go away on its own?

Customer:

could I wake up tomorrow and he be back to normal

Rebeccavet :

Yes, asthma comes on in hours, or less. It starts with coughing, and progresses to open mouth breathing.

Rebeccavet :

Yes, you could wake up tomorrow, and he be alright, but I would not count on it. There is a chance you will wake up and he will be dead. I hate to put it so harshly, but I have seen many cats die of an asthma attack in less than 12 hours.

Customer:

ok thank you pray i will get him to the vet in time

Rebeccavet :

Do you have any more questions about Breyer? I hope he is looking better, not worse.

Rebeccavet :

I think going to the vet is your best bet.

Customer:

he is the same. thank you for your help I will definitely take him.