Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.
16881297

Whats the difference between feline herpes and feline allergies symptoms the o

What's the difference between feline herpes and feline allergies symptoms? the one with the most problems is allready vaccinated x3 with Fvrcp

Good Morning and welcome to Just answer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Feline Herpes can be mistaken for allergies because of the similar symptoms. In cats, this will usually show as ocular discharge from one eye that is brownish and is a result of stress. There is a test called PCR that your vet can run to determine if this is the case. If this is Feline Herpes, this is treated with anti virals as a topical application to the affected eye. Allergies are usually treated with a triple antibiotic that has a steroid in it to resolve these symptoms.

Here is a site with more details:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_herpes_viral_conjunctivitis.html

Good Luck!

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the nasal / occular discharge is green not the hard clumpy brown, and the eyes are irritated but not to the point of squinting or the third eyelid coming up. Also he seems to have "sneezing fits" where he'll just sneeze for approx 15 times in a row but not really throughout the day. Does this help at in defining weather its herpes or allergies w/o the diagnostic test?
This sounds more like an upper respiratory infection rather than allergies or herpes. This could be a bacterial infection that is causing this...I say this because this greenish discharge is not usually related to allergies. The discharge would be clear so this sounds ,ore like an infectious process and could be related to Herpes. Your vet will have to test Moz for this...it sounds to me, however,like a bacterial infection that will respond to antibiotics.