Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience treating dogs, cats, mice, rats, rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters, & iguanas

My cat is sneezing bloody mucus, the mucus is clear, and it

My cat is sneezing bloody mucus, the mucus is clear, and it is only affecting one nasal passage, he is 13 years old and very active. My vet is out of town and I refused to bring him to emerge where they will surely rack up some exorbitant bill because it's protocol for testing. I'm on maternity and cannot afford some retarded bill. He does not appear to be in pain on any real discomfort, I read that it could be a couple of things. A build up of nasal fluid, cancer, or maybe upper respiratory, I know it is not the upper respiratory, my question is; even though I understand he requires medical attention can this wait a couple of days until my vet is back? What are some signs to look for when it can wait no longer?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.

Dr Kara :

Hello. I'm sorry to hear about Kice. Is the bleeding constant or just a little bit mixed with the mucous?

Customer:

just a little bit mix with mucus

Dr Kara :

Thanks. Is is bright red or darker in color? Is it clots or just drops? Can you look at his mucous membrane (gum) color for me? They should be bubble gum oink and when you press on them they should whiten and then return to pink in less than 2 seconds.

Dr Kara :

Sorry "bubble gum pink" not oink!

Customer:

its a mix it dark red but not a brown like crimson, clots he is all black so that hard to tell for the gum

Customer:

his gums are brown have been since he was a kitten

Dr Kara :

You are correct that blood in the nasal mucous can be caused by an upper respiratory infection (viral, bacterial or fungal), a sinus of tooth root infection, a nasal polyp or mass or a foreign polyp in the nasal passages or sinuses (grass blades or plant awns are some common ones). Is the discharge from one side only? I understand about him being black, can you look at his rectum?

Customer:

yes one side the right. okay what am i looking for on his rectum

Customer:

FYI Kice is a DLH and has IBS so I feed him only science deit hair ball control for seinors

Customer:

diet

Customer:

hehe

Dr Kara :

You are looking to make sure it's pink in color, even black cats should have some areas of pink there. If not look at the inside of his lower eyelids to make sure he's pink. If his mucous membrane color is OK, he's eating and drinking well and is active, he's not bleeding constantly (I like that there are clots, not all just drops and some are darker) then I feel better about him waiting.

Dr Kara :

The other reason for nose bleeds are a problem with clotting, either liver disease or a lack of platelets. But that should cause both sides to bleed not just one. Because it's one sided I suspect that it's more likely a tooth root or sinus issue, polyp or nasal mass.

Dr Kara :

If he were an outdoor cat I would strongly suspect a foreign body as kitties stick their noses everywhere. I once pulled out a huge pine needle out of a cat's pharynx (back of nose).

Customer:

Okay I checked both his rectum is very light pink in some spots and same with his lower eye lid almost white for the eye, eating and drinking fine so far. No constant bleed and no aggressive sneezing.

Customer:

he is out door, but ww live in calgary, where it is minus 20

Customer:

we

Dr Kara :

Good. So I would watch him and his color closely. If everything remains the same he can wait for your vet. If the bleeding becomes more consistent, he stops eating and drinking or his respiratory rate increases then he needs to go in.

Customer:

really? Kice is uninsurable b/c of his adventureous ways

Customer:

fair enough, thank you

Dr Kara :

Yes the cat I pulled the pine needle out of hadn't been outdoors in at least 2 months. It took awhile for the needle to migrate into the back of his nose and then he started sneezing and coughing.

Dr Kara :

That was a really happy ending as we were expecting much worse. Foreign bodies can hang around for a bit depending upon where they lodge so it's quite possible.

Customer:

poor thing, you sound like a wonderful vet I appreciate your assitance and feel a more at ease with the situation. this is the first my vet has gone on vacation.

Customer:

in 25 years

Customer:

murphy's law

Customer:

lol3

Customer:

thanks

Dr Kara :

You are very welcome. Good luck with Mr Adventure! Then your vet really needed to go! Sounds like Kice can wait for him (her?)

Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience: Over 20 years of experience treating dogs, cats, mice, rats, rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters, & iguanas