CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

cat: my 12 year..12 year old..overweight..stopped eating

my 12 year old cat is usually a big eater and overweight. i think he has stopped eating over the last 7-10 days. he asks for food, even though his bowl is full. even if i give him new food he doesn't eat it. he has lost quite a bit of weight. i can't really tell if anything else is wrong since he's always been a very lazy, sluggish cat. he still comes for petting and sitting on my lap.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

Regardless of the cause for the loss of appetite, in cats that do not eat for 3-5 days or longer, regardless of the underlying cause - can get secondary liver problems, (fatty liver disease - hepatic lipidosis)

As far as how to help with the appetite - here are some options for at-home care:

- You can try to offer small amounts of water or diluted pedialyte for hydration and electrolytes. You can even purchase a dropper from your local pharmacy to offer the water/pedialyte mixture by mouth.

A calorie dense nutritional supplement such as nutrical:

- Another option would be baby food. If you are going to try this, please purchase baby food that does not have any ingredients such as garlic or onion.

Many baby foods now will only have the ingredients of the item and water...for example chicken and water. But they will not have any other salts or seasonings. This is what you need. Just chicken and water or beef and water for example.

Regarding other therapy to speak to your veterinarian about, I would recommend an appetite stimlant called cyproheptadine.

BUT - if the above does not help regarding the appetite, we need testing to be sure we are not missing the cause - such as a bloodowork and urine evaluation to start.

I hope this information is helpful! PLEASE let me know!
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.