Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  29 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

WHY IS THERE A CLEAR LIQUID COMING FROM MY CATS ANUS AND SHE

WHY IS THERE A CLEAR LIQUID COMING FROM MY CATS ANUS AND SHE IS CONSTANTLY HUNCHING AS IF TO HAVE A BM?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.

Rebeccavet :

Hi JACustomer,

Rebeccavet :

I am sorry to hear about Fudge. Is she eating or drinking at all? How long has she been doing this?

Rebeccavet :

The clear fluid you see is mucus, which the lining of the colon is producing. It could be because Fudge has colitis, or inflammation of the lining of the colon, or because she is constipated and the colon is producing mucus to try to lubricate the blockage. If she has colitis, there is nothing in her colon, but she strains because the colon lining is so swollen it feels to her like there is something in there. If she is constipated, she is straining because there really is something in there. Without being able to see and examine her, I can't tell you for sure which it is.

Rebeccavet :

Is Fudge a thin cat, or overweight?

Customer:

she was not eating her dry food but ate some soft food today. don't know about the drinking. this has been two to three days. she also has been vomiting somewhat liquid and had no stool in liter box except the clumps from the anal leakage.

Customer:

she appears to be thinner than normal.

Rebeccavet :

If she is vomiting, and not eating, she is getting dehydrated. She sounds to me like she needs medical attention. The more dehydrated she gets, the harder the stool will get if she is constipated, and the problems just compounds.

Rebeccavet :

She should see a veterinarian, get some fluids, and some help with her problem. With a really constipated cat, all you can do is reach in there and pull out the stool. Unpleasant for the cat, and for the veterinarian. Most of the time, the cat has to be sedated to do this, as you can imagine.

Rebeccavet :

Sometimes fluids and enemas and stool softeners are all that is needed, but the longer she goes like this, the more likely she will need really aggressive treatment. There really is no home remedy for this; she needs medical attention.

Customer:

.i forgot to mention she looks and feels like she has lost weight, no bloating or hardness. she ate some wet food this morning and actually ran to it.

Rebeccavet :

Eating is an excellent sign; a really sick cat will not eat. However, weight loss in a cat always concerns me. Even one half pound weight loss in a cat is significant, since they are small to begin with.

Rebeccavet :

Again, this could constipation, colitis, or some sort of bowel obstruction. I really would have to be able to put my hands on her; I could tell just by feeling her colon if she is constipated.

Rebeccavet :

I would have your veterinarian look at her as soon as possible, or even an emergency Sunday vet if one is open near you.

Customer:

my wife is an RN , she felt her belly and there was no hardness and fudge did not appear to have any pain on palpation.

Rebeccavet :

The treatments for colitis (inflammed colon lining) is opposite from treating an obstruction, so you really need to know exactly what her problem is, before recommending treatment. If you are not experienced at really deeply palpating a cat's abdomen, you can't know if this is an obstruction or not. You have to be able to wrap your hand around her belly, and palpate individual organs like the bladder, colon, etc.

Rebeccavet :

If you don't want to take her to a veterinarian today, I recommend trying to keep her hydrated as much as possible by offering water, water added to canned food, broth, Pedialyte, etc. There is no over the counter medication I can recommend without being able to examine her. An enema or laxatives could be disastrous if there is colitis or a foreign body obstruction; contrariwise, medication for colon inflammation would be useless at best if there is an obstruction.

Customer:

if she is acting normaly and did eat the wet food, what symptoms should we look for if we wait until tomorrow? she actually just jumped on top of the back of a recliner she usually sits on to be up high.

Rebeccavet :

If this is just a bad bout of colitis, she may actually do fine. If she continues to strain and strain, I would take her to the vet tomorrow. Vomiting, and not being able to hold food and water down, would be a bad sign. Eating and keeping food and water down is a sign that she is stable.

Customer:

Thank you very much, that was very helpful, i will accept.

Rebeccavet :

Thank you for accepting, and good luck with Fudge. Rebecca

Customer:

when we take her to the vet, is there anything in particular we need to tell the DR. besides what we have covered?

Rebeccavet :

Not really; what she needs is a good physical exam.

Rebeccavet :

Hope you find out her problem soon. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: 29 years of companion animal practice.