CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

my cat is sneezing, has watery, red eyes, runny nose and being

Customer Question

my cat is sneezing, has watery, red eyes, runny nose and being very introverted. Is this just a cold or could it be something worse? Can you prescribe antibiotics if that is what is diagnosed?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

2 possible causes for your description seem most likely.

1) Upper Respiratory Viral Infection (the most likely).

Cats commonly get viruses - we tend to group this into the category of feline (cat) upper respiratory infections. These are usually self-limiting, viral infections that can last 7-10 days or so. Similar to the herpes virus / cold sores - in people - we tend to see this when a cat is stressed.

Common signs of a cat upper respiratory infection include:
- Sneezing
- Nasal Discharge
- Red eyes
- Ocular discharge (one or both)
- Even decreased appetite, lethargy and vomiting.

2) An allergy or sensitivity.

I do there there is little risk in trying a course of an antihistamine (Benadryl) in case this is an allergy. If you would like to do that...The dose will be 1mg for every 1 pound of body weight. For example, a 10 pound cat should receive 10mg of benadryl. You can start and then give a dose every 12 hours thereafter. Please be certain it is the product consisting of only Diphenhydramine and DOES NOT CONTAIN ANY OTHER INGREDIENTS SUCH AS A DECONGESTANT.

Other options for at home care include:

One recommendation is saline drops to use to moisten and flush the nose. (EXAMPLE HERE)

The other recommendation would be humidification. You can either use a children's / baby's humidifier for 10-15 minutes twice daily, or using the steam from a hot shower you can attempt to humidify the air that your cat breathes.

I hope this information is helpful.
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Do I still need to take my cat to the vet for a check up? I already got this answer online without having to pay for it.

Often this resolves in 7-10 days with the therapy provided above.