Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc

my cat keeps peeing and pooping on the living room floor.

my cat keeps peeing and pooping on the living room floor. she has been checked by the vet who feels it is a behavior problem. we have purchased special litter and have placed things on the floor to deter her but she will just go somewhere else. is there another product or method we can try to stop this problem?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 3 years ago.
Hi there,

Thank you for your question regarding your kitty Missy who has been urinating all over your living room floor! The steps you have put in place thus far are excellent, however it sounds as though they haven't quite done the trick as yet. First of all, you really need to get the entire living room floor steam cleaned, then go over it again with a pet odour neutralizer. Cats generally urinate and defecate on areas they have before and this helps rule this out. You should have one litter tray per cat in your household, plus one extra - so if you need ANOTHER litter tray to meet this requirement, I would definitely encourage it.

The change in substrate on the floor in the living room (plastic and newspapers you have been using) is generally a great idea and it sounds as though she doesn't like these - but has been urinating/defecating in other areas as a result. Continue with this technique where possible if you can handle it!!

If you have other cats, I would definitely recommend having all of them spayed and neutered if they aren't already, and buy a product such as Feliway (a feline pheromone diffuser) as this can help eleviate any stress between the cats. You can buy this online if you search for 'Feliway Diffuser'. This is definitely worth a try and could definitely help your kitty in this situation.

If you have tried all of the above and she really isn't changing out of this behavior, you may need to start her on an anti-anxiety medication for cats called - Clomicalm. You can talk to your Vet further about this, but it is ideal for inappropriate urination/defecation where simple behavioral training is cutting it.

Hopefully your Vet has checked the urine for signs of infection (run a culture) as well as carried out a physical exam to rule out possible pain or other causes of this inappropriate toileting.

Best of luck with Missy and let me know how things progress. Do chat with your Vet about Clomicalm (drug name Clomipramine) if Feliway and the other tips above don't seem to be helping.

Thanks and please now click ACCEPT.

Kind Regards,

Dr M D Edwards
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian - BVSc