CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

My cat has a lump on his side between his back and hind legs.

My cat has a lump on his side between his back and hind legs. He's eating, but not excitedly, and he isn't pooping at all. It was a smaller lump at first, it feels larger now though, maybe the size of a golf ball.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

Unfortunately - sometimes these are very hard to diagnose by touch, feel, or even location. If they are soft, at times they can be benign, and if they are hard or not able to be moved, they are more likely to be cancerous, but you can be fooled very easily.

Especially in an older kitty and when the lump is growing - we should be proactive in making sure this is not serious.

My recommendation to determine what the lump is (benign growth vs. cancerous mass) would be to have your veterinarian perform a procedure called a FNA (Fine Needle Aspirate).

A FNA procedure is quite simple with minimal risks. Usually without any sedation at all (and no anesthesia), a small needle is inserted into the lump and then cells and fluid are aspirated into the syringe, then pushed onto a slide.

The slide is examined under the microscope either by your veterinarian, or if you elect, by a board certified clinical pathologist. The goal would be for them to tell you what the cells are, and therefore, what the mass is. Is it benign or malignant? And would surgery then be indicated.

Please let me know if this makes sense or if you have addtional questions!
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and Feedback is appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.